Yoshida Scholarship Foundation for Foreign Students in Japan , and applications are submitted till 1 October 2017. Scholarship grant is awarded to foreign students specializing in the field of natural science while studying at a graduate school in Japan. Scholarships are available for pursuing master’s and doctoral courses. Citizens of Southeast Asian countries, South Asian countries, West Asian countries, Central Asian countries, African countries and Mongolia can apply for this scholarship. Scholarship covers living expenses in the amount of 200,000 yen per month; graduate school fees of up to 2,500,000 yen in total, family allowance (only if applicable) and round-trip travel expenses to Japan. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Level: Master’s & Doctoral Courses
Field(s): Scholarship grant is awarded in the field of natural science while studying at a graduate school in Japan
Deadline: 1October 2017
Funded By: Yoshida Scholarship Foundation, Japan
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Yoshida Scholarship Foundation is targeted for students of Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos, East Timor, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Armenia, Yemen, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Georgia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, Bahrain, Jordan, Lebanon, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tadzhikistan, Turkmenistan and Mongolia.
‣ Award No: Students recommended by one of the designated universities listed above will be awarded this scholarship grant subject to approval. No more than one student will simultaneously receive this scholarship grant per designated university.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The term of scholarship will be no more than two (2) years for students enrolled in a master’s course or three years (3) for students enrolled in the last three (3) years of a doctoral course from the month of being admitted to a graduate school in Japan.
‣ Scholarship covers: YSF will pay: living expenses in the amount of 200,000 yen per month throughout the term of scholarship; graduate school fees of up to 2,500,000 yen in total during the term of scholarship; family allowance (only if applicable); and round-trip travel expenses to Japan.
‣ Yoshida Scholarship Foundation (YSF) is a foundation established in March 1967 for the purpose of developing highly capable individuals for the nation and society by providing financial support to gifted students as advocated by YKK Group founder Tadao Yoshida.
‣ A candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements.
The candidate must be a national of a country within the scope of the Scholarship Grant. ・ The candidate must be a graduate of a university in a country within the scope of the Scholarship Grant (which need not be located in the same country as the country of nationality) or have higher academic qualifications.
・ The candidate must be seeking to enroll in a master’s course (with a standard course term of two years for which a master's degree is awarded to those who complete the course, including the first two (2) years of a doctoral course) or the last three (3) years of a doctoral course (with a standard course term of three years for which a doctoral degree is awarded to those who complete the course) or be transferred in the third year of an integrated doctoral course (with a standard course term of five years for which a doctoral degree is awarded to those who complete the course) at the graduate school of the Japanese university in autumn 2017 or spring 2018. ・
The candidate must specialize in the field of natural science in the Japanese university.
・ The candidate must not have arrived in Japan yet at the time of filing an application to YSF. If the candidate wishes to enroll in autumn, he/she must have lived in a country within the scope of the Scholarship Grant for one year or more on an ongoing basis as of April 1, 2017. If the candidate wishes to enroll in spring, he/she must have lived in a country within the scope of the Scholarship Grant for one year or more on an ongoing basis as of October 1, 2017.
・ A candidate seeking to enroll in a master’s course must be no more than 30 years old and a candidate seeking to enroll in the last three (3) years of a doctoral course must be no more than 35 years old as of April 1, 2017.
Selection criteria for Yoshida Scholarship Foundation
‣ Yoshida Scholarship Foundation (YSF) requires that applicants for the <YKK Leaders 21> scholarship have:
‣ YSF will notify applicants of scholarship approval through the Japanese university.
Applicants are required to submit the following documents to the Japanese university. Among these documents, please obtain the forms for the application and the letter of recommendation through the Japanese university:
(i) Application form (No.1 Form C) (to be submitted in either Japanese or English);
(ii) Letter of recommendation (No.2 Form C) (written by the advising professor in charge at the Japanese university); (iii) Letter of recommendation written in English by the university from which the applicant graduated; and
(iv) A copy of the certificate or letter of acceptance from the graduate school of the Japanese university (if acceptance by the graduate school has been decided). Japanese universities are required to submit the set of application documents concerning the respective scholarship candidates whom they have decided to recommend to YSF. If acceptance of the candidate at the graduate school is undecided at the time of submitting the application documents, please promptly submit a copy of the certificate or letter of acceptance as soon as the candidate’s acceptance has been decided.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 10th October 2016.
Changes after Application
If any material changes arise in the content of the application documents after recommending a candidate to YSF, the
Japanese university is required to contact YSF promptly. Material changes include the following.
・ Change in preferred university, graduate school or specialization
・ Change in theme of research scheduled to be conducted after enrollment
・ Change in advising professor (who wrote the letter of recommendation), etc.
. Contact Information
Yoshida Scholarship Foundation’s administration office
3-22-1 Kamezawa, Sumida-ku, Tokyo 130-8521 JAPAN
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.