Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships in Basic Biomedical Science for UK/EEA Countries, 2015 . Applications are now considered three times a year. The timetable for the next round of the competition is as follows: Next preliminary application deadline: 8 May 2015 and Main application deadline: 17 July 2015 . Wellcome Trust offers senior research fellowships in basic biomedical science. The fellowships provide support for outstanding postdoctoral scientists based in academic institutions in the UK and Republic of Ireland (RoI). Applicants should have between five and normally ten years research experience (from the date of viva to the date of preliminary application) at postdoctoral level or veterinary equivalent and have a substantial record of publications in their chosen area of research in leading international journals. The fellowship is for five years in the first instance. Fellowships may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK and Republic of Ireland (RoI)
Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing postdoctoral research program in academic institutions in the UK and Republic of Ireland (RoI).
Field(s): basic biomedical science.
Deadline: Applications are now considered three times a year.
Funded By: Wellcome Trust
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships are targeted for Students of UK/EEA (Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and UK and non-EEA national (who either has a relevant degree from a UK university, or has worked in the UK for at least a continuous three-year period) can apply for these senior research fellowships. NB while Switzerland is not in the EEA, Swiss nationals have the same rights as EEA nationals).
‣ Award No: Not Known
‣ Scholarship Duration: These Senior Research Fellowships are awarded for five years.
. This Fellowship is subject to competitive rolling scientific review every five years, and renewed awards will be funded on the basis that the Trust and the host institution will each provide 50 per cent of the Fellow’s employment costs for the duration of any renewal period
‣ Scholarship covers: The Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships are for five years in the first instance and provides:
-a basic salary, as determined by the host institution (normally up to £55 000 pa) with an additional Trust supplement of £12 500 pa
-the essential costs of the research programme (e.g. consumables, equipment, research assistance, overseas allowances, collaborative travel and subsistence, fieldwork and data collection)
-an inflation allowance and support to attend scientific meetings.
-provision for public engagement costs
Additional funding is available to enable institutions to recruit exceptional scientists in the UK from overseas. The International Recruitment Supplement (IRS) is designed to be part of the fellowship, providing a competitive start-up package and covering some of the other costs associated with an individual recruitment. Candidates are advised to speak to their host institution before submitting a preliminary application.
‣ This Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships scheme provides support for outstanding postdoctoral scientists based in academic institutions in the UK and Republic of Ireland (RoI).
‣ Candidates are expected to have an excellent track record in their scientific field and be able to demonstrate their ability to carry out independent research.
‣ Time spent outside the research environment will be taken into consideration (e.g. time away due to personal reasons such as maternity, paternity, adoption leave or other caring responsibilities; ill-health or working in a non-research environment/role such as industry).
‣ Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships applicants must be:
Selection Criteria for Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships
Reviewers typically assess:
‣ the calibre of the candidate
‣ the quality and importance of the research question(s)
‣ the approach to solving these questions
‣ the suitability of the research environment.
‣ Shortlisting of candidates by Expert Review Group: Sept 2015
‣ Shortlisted candidate interviews by Interview Panel: 2-4 Dec 2015
‣ Awards will be made following a rigorous review process and interview.
‣ The Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships application process consists of the following stages:
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Applications are now considered three times a year.
‣ The timetable for the next round of the competition is as follows: Next preliminary application deadline: 8 May 2015 and Main application deadline: 17 July 2015 .
‣ Invitations to complete a main application form will usually be sent to candidates within one month of the preliminary application deadline.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.