VU University Amsterdam-NRF Desmond Tutu Doctoral Scholarships , and applications are submitted till 17 July 2015. The National Research Foundation (NRF) and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA) are offering doctoral scholarship for South African students to undertake Desmond Tutu Training Programme (DTTP). In this programme, students will register and obtain their research doctoral degrees in the form of a Joint Degree between VU Amsterdam and a partner South African Higher Education Institution. The programme provides funding for up to four (4) years of study, depending on satisfactory progress each year. The award will amount to the value of approximately R240 000 each year toward doctoral study costs in South Africa and Amsterdam. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa and Netherlands
Level: doctoral studies in a Joint Degree (split-site) mode between VU Amsterdam and a partner South African Higher Education Institution.
Field(s): Scholarships are awarded to pursue doctoral studies in the following specific areas (linked to the themes outlined as follow: Prosperous Societies: Research themes: food industry; HIV; identities; reconciliation; security; service delivery; development of high potentials; culture and communication; corporate social responsibility and Sustainable Energy: Research themes: environment; sustainability; climate change; natural resource management; energy provision) Economics, Theology, Human Movement Sciences, Social Sciences/Sport Sciences, Medicine, Earth & Life Sciences, Sciences and Law.
Deadline: 17 July 2015.
Funded By: The National Research Foundation (NRF) and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): VU University Amsterdam-NRF Desmond Tutu Doctoral Scholarships are targeted for South African citizens
‣ No. of awards: Not Specified
Tenure : The
VUA-NRF Desmond Tutu Training Programme provides funding for up to
four (4) years of study, depending on satisfactory progress each
‣Value of Scholarship : The award will amount to the value of approximately R240 000 each year toward doctoral study costs in South Africa and Amsterdam. This amount will cover, among other things, flights to and from Amsterdam, accommodation, living costs, and a scholarship. The DST-NRF component of the scholarship is R120 000 and will cover:
‣ The Desmond Tutu Doctoral Training Programme (DTTP) was established in honour of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu’s lifetime struggle against inequality and his quest for reconciliation.
‣ The National Research Foundation (NRF) and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA) entered into a partnership in 2009 to co-fund South African students carrying out doctoral studies in a Joint Degree (split-site) mode.
‣ Be in possession of a research Master’s degree, or be in the process of completing requirements for such a degree (which must be completed before the DTTP award can be taken up);
‣ Be South African citizens or permanent residents.
‣ An applicant may not concurrently hold a DTTP scholarship with another NRF scholarship or any other scholarship from a South African government source.
‣ The NRF scholarship should be held as the primary funding source in all cases of supplementary funding.
Prior to the award of the scholarship the following must be confirmed by the institution:
Selection Criteria for VU University Amsterdam-NRF Desmond Tutu Doctoral Scholarships
‣ The award of the DTTP scholarship will be based on past, current and potential academic performance. Selection criteria will include academic merit, research ability, leadership qualities (as articulated in the applicant’s personal profile), previous awards, prizes and honours.
‣ In addition to the above criteria the award will be based on the feasibility and merit of the applicant’s research project proposal.
‣ A list of successful candidates will be published on the NRF website as soon as the internal NRF approval processes have been finalized.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Method of application: Applications must be submitted electronically on the NRF Online Submission System.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 17 July 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
For more Information about VU University Amsterdam-NRF Desmond Tutu Doctoral Scholarships