Uppsala University offers PhD Microbial Ecology position in sweden. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): the Department of Ecology and Genetics, Uppsala Uni. | Sweden
Level: Doctoral (PhD) Degree
Field(s): Research in Microbial ecology
Deadline: 20 February 2013
Funded by: Uppsala University
Beneficiaries(Target Group): Scholarship is Open for Swedish students.
Benefit( Value/ Inclusions):
‣ Scholarship Duration:The Scholarship is applicable for 4 years.
To be eligible for Uppsala University PhD Microbial Ecology positions, candidates need to have:
‣ A master’s degree or equivalent degree in Biotechnology, Ecology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related fields is required.
‣ Experience or strong interest in one or more related research areas, such as microbial metabolism, genomics, aquatic ecology and bacterial evolution, is highly desirable.
‣ Candidates with experience in novel culturing techniques, and genetic engineering are encouraged to apply.
Background for Uppsala Uni. PhD Microbial Ecology positions
‣ There is a current gap between molecular and ecological microbiology as the abundant and ecosystem-relevant microbes are scarcely characterized in regards to their metabolism, cell-division, expression, DNA exchange and repair.
‣ In this project strains belonging to the most widespread and abundant aquatic bacteria will be established as models to test hypotheses derived from computational predictions of genomic data (retrieved from metagenomes, and cultured and single cells).
‣ These often oligotrophic bacteria play a central role in the cycling of dissolved organic matter and determining which carbon compounds are used by these bacteria will serve as a resource for aquatic chemists and biogeochemists working to define the carbon cycle in greater mechanistic detail and at large geographical scales.
‣ Comparative genomics and experiments will also reveal the traits underlying their transition between biomes (i.e. from marine to freshwaters).
‣ Moreover, studies target towards evolution in controlled experimental settings can help towards understanding homologous recombination and adaptation in oligotrophic bacteria with streamlined genomes.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Apply by email
‣ Please send a brief statement of research interests that explains how your education, experience and professional goals match the description of the position.
‣ Your Uppsala University PhD Microbial Ecology positions application should further include Curriculum vitae, an authorized copy of the undergraduate degree, and the names and contact information (address, email address, and phone number) of two personal references. Relevant publications (including BSc/MSc thesis) should be enclosed.
‣ For further detail on the position you may contact Dr. Alexander Eiler (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel# +46-18-471-2700; Department of Ecology and Genetics, Limnology, Uppsala University, Sweden;
‣ URL:http://www.ebc.uu.se/Research/IEG/limno/Staff/Alexander+Eiler/) . Trade union representatives are, Anders Grundström, Saco Council, phone +46 18 471 33 80, Carin Söderhäll, ST-ATF, phone +46 18 471 19 96 and Stefan Djurström, SEKO, phone +46 18 471 33 15.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due by Deadline 013-02-20
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website
You may also like