University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship in South Africa, and applications are submitted till 18th August 2014. University of Pretoria is offering two Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students). Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme no more than three years prior to their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship. These PhD scholarships will be for a maximum period of support of three academic years. The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R 120 000 in 2015. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): University of Pretoria | South Africa
Level: PhD Degree
Field(s): any of the courses offered by the University of Pretoria
Deadline: 18th August 2014.
Funded By: University of Pretoria
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship is targeted for Applicants of Africa (Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania and Zambia) Asia (Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, India, Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Singapore and Sri Lanka) Caribbean and Americas (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, The, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana. Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and The Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago) Europe (Cyprus, Malta and United Kingdom) and Pacific (Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu).
‣ Award No: University of Pretoria has made funds available for two doctoral scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students).
‣ Scholarship Duration: These doctoral scholarships will be for a maximum period of support of three academic years. Doctoral students who are not able to complete within the maximum three academic year period due to unforeseeable reasons must provide a written motivation supported by their supervisor as to why an extension is necessary. The extension request will be considered by the University’s Institutional Selection Committee.
‣ Scholarship covers: The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R 120 000 in 2015. This amount must be used to cover the following student costs: -Accommodation and living costs -Medical Aid -Books/Stationery -Note: Fees will be covered by the award of a UP Postgraduate Scholarship -Research costs will be covered by the Supervisor Additional costs covered by the University: Return flight ticket from home country, Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from or Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion. Application fee and Visa costs which will be refunded on proof of receipts on arrival. Costs not covered by the Institution: Family expenses and Additional baggage expenses
‣ The University of Pretoria is a research intensive university. Hence, it is seeking candidates for doctoral studies who will make significant contributions to its research endeavour.
‣ As part of South Africa’s contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, the University of Pretoria has made funds available for two doctoral scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students).
‣ This University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship will be known as the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
‣ The University of Pretoria has established a reputation for academic excellence, particularly in relation to some of its major research activities.
‣ Applicants must conduct their studies at the University of Pretoria.
‣ Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme no more than three years prior to their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
‣ Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application.
‣ PhD and Masters students currently registered at the University of Pretoria are not eligible for the Doctoral Scholarships.
Awards of these scholarships will be based on:
‣ Academic performance of the candidate.
‣ Potential to undertake advanced research activities.
‣ Leadership qualities.
‣ Evidence of research accomplishment at the masters’ level by means of publications or other appropriate products of the work undertaken.
‣ Prizes and honors received.
‣ The successful applicant will be informed by e-mail and official letter of acceptance.
‣ Candidates, who have not received written notification within eight weeks of the closing date, must please contact the Client Service Center: Leanne.vanzyl-at-up.ac.za.
‣ In order to be considered for this scholarship, candidates must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria;
‣ An agreement and motivation, from a suitable academic supervisor at the University, that the candidate can work under their supervision.
‣ An outline (one A4 page), of the research work that they wish to undertake.
‣ UP application Form;
‣ Curriculum Vitae (CV);
‣ no more than 4 pages;
‣ Two certified passport copies;
‣ Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained.
‣ 2 Letters of reference from academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance Hard copy
‣ Application Format: Submitted together with the required supporting documents to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre and to the proposed supervisor: OR Electronic application Format: Send the “T” number details and the supporting documents to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre only and inform the proposed supervisor.
‣ Please quote “UP Commonwealth Scholarship” on your application when applying for this scholarship.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The closing date for the 2015 Academic year is 18 August 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.