University of Alicante,Departments of Economics offers Graduate scholarships in Economics in Spain. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Uni. of Alicante | Spain
Level: Graduate Degree
Field(s): Economic Theory, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Public Economics.
Deadline:31 May 2013
Funded by: Departments of Economics, University of Alicante
Beneficiaries( Target Group): Scholarship is open for International students.
Benefits(Value/ Inclusions): Financial support
‣ The Department provides financial support to its best graduate students in the form of Teaching Assistanships (TA) and Research Assistanships (RA).
‣ A TA position requires teaching practice classes with a teaching load of up to four hours per week.
‣ An RA position requires a workload of up to six hours per week and may involve administrative and logistic tasks.
Program Overview(University of Alicante Graduate scholarships in Economics)
‣The Graduate Program in Economics is a full-time program taught entirely in English.
‣The program provides students with a thorough theoretical and practical training in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics as well as specialization in applied fields.
‣ The aim of the program is to prepare students for professional careers in universities, public and private research organizations, international institutions, consultancy and business.
‣ The Department of Economics (FAE) at the University of Alicante is a research oriented department renowned for its high academic standards.
‣ Our faculty specializes in a variety of fields covering all major areas of economic research.
‣ The first two years of the Graduate Program lead to the degree of Master and involve studying courses and writing a Master's thesis.
‣ After these two years, students who demonstrate a strong academic performance and a high research potential are admitted to the PhD Program, where they work on their doctoral theses for the degree of Doctor (PhD) in Economics.
‣ In order to maintain close interaction between students and faculty, the Department restricts the intake each year to a maximum of 25 students.
‣ Our graduate students come from different countries, and the spirit of the program is truly international. Financial support in the form of teaching or research assistantships is available.
Master's Program (University of Alicante Graduate scholarships )
‣ The Master's Program lasts for two academic years.
‣ The first year starts with an intensive course in Mathematics for Economists, followed by three 10-week terms of compulsory core courses in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Statistics and Econometrics.
‣ During the summer between the first year and the second, students are required to engage in a research project under the supervision of a faculty member and write a report.
‣ In September they must hand in their research report and make an oral presentation.
‣ In the second year, students must take a minimum of nine elective courses among those currently offered by the Program.
‣ Elective courses are organized across "specialized fields", which group together courses across homogenous research areas. Typical specialized fields are: Economic Theory, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Public Economics.
‣ In June of the second year, students must pass all their examinations and, then, start working on their Master's theses under the supervision of Faculty members.
‣ In a Master thesis, students must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the relevant literature and the ability to make a research contribution.
‣ There is a public defense of Master's theses, usually in late September. Those students who pass all courses and successfully defend their Master's theses receive the degree of Master (officially called "Master in Quantitative Economics").
PhD Program (University of Alicante Graduate scholarships )
‣ Starting from the third year, students work on their PhD theses under the supervision of faculty members.
‣ The faculty members potentially involved in thesis supervision are listed in the Courses and Specialization Fields section.
‣ In order to be admitted to the PhD Program, students of the MSc in Quantitative Economics of the University of Alicante must have an average grade of at least 70% in the Master's Program, pass the general examinations and have a thesis proposal approved by the Department.
‣ The To facilitate their progress with the theses, students are strongly encouraged to participate in the series of weekly seminars and workshops organized by the Department. ‣ In the weekly seminars, guest speakers from other universities are invited to present their work.
‣ In the weekly workshops, both students and faculty present their current research.
‣ Students are expected to make presentations on their work at least once a year in workshops so that their work is made known to other students and faculty members working in related areas, thus creating an opportunity for useful feedback.
‣ Students are stimulated and they receive generous funding to attend international conferences and to visit other universities for a term.
‣ In the fall term of their fifth year, students go to the job market. A faculty member who serves as Placement Officer offers help and advice to graduating students in approaching the job market.
‣ Students are expected to complete and defend their theses by the end of their fifth year.
‣ Before a thesis is admitted to formal defense, students are required to present their work at a Department seminar.
‣ This "informal defense" provides the faculty with an opportunity to evaluate the student's work.
‣ Subsequently, an internal committee of two faculty members evaluates the thesis. Only those theses that obtain a positive evaluation from the internal committee are admitted to formal defense.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ The Graduate Program is open to any student with a Bachelor Degree.
‣ Candidates with a strong background in economics and/or mathematics are encouraged to apply.
‣ Students have to pre-register online ; and attachthe following documents:
‣ Scholarship Applications for 2013/14 Academic yea are due by May 30th, 2013
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official websiteYou may also like
Tags: University, Alicante, Graduate, scholarships, Economics. 2013/14