TWAS-USM Fellowship Program for Developing Countries’ Scholars in Malaysia, and applications are submitted till 15th September 2016. Applications are invited for TWAS-USM fellowship program available for developing countries’ scholars (other than Malaysia). Fellowships are available for pursuing research at postgraduate and postdoctoral level at the Universiti Sains Malaysia. USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Malaysia
Level: pursuing research at postgraduate (PhD) and postdoctoral level at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
Field(s): natural sciences (Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences, Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physics) at the Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Deadline: 15th September 2016.
Funded By: TWAS and Universiti Sains Malaysia
Beneficiaries(Target Groups):TWAS-USM Fellowship Program is targeted for Citizens of developing countries (other than Malaysia): Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia,
Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for these fellowships.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: TWAS-USM Fellowship Program is tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a period of up to three years for studies leading to a PhD degree in the natural sciences. TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a minimum period of twelve (12) months to a maximum period of three years and are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
‣ Scholarship covers: USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
‣ Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
‣ Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
‣ Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
‣ Hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences.
‣ hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
‣ apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
‣ Provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) USM to TWAS. Requests for Preliminary Acceptance Letters must be directed to the Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies, USM who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor.
‣ In contacting the IPS Dean applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with ALL the following documents:
‣ Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
‣ Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
‣ Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
‣ Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants must submit the Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest.
‣ Without the acceptance letter, the application will not be considered for selection. Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachment via e-mail directly to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain: USM/ PDoc/the candidate’s surname. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15th September.
Are you a potential applicant for a full-time PhD in a field related to atmospheric science, climate and climate change, hydrology, multi-hazard early-warning or disaster-risk reduction? If so, you may be interested in applying for a World Meteorological Organization (WMO) travel grant as a complement to the PhD fellowship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Contact DetailsTWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgProf. Rozman Hj Din
Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS)
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
11800 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +60 4 6532 930
Fax: +60 4 6532 931
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 PG application form191.5 KB