TWAS (The World Academy of Sciences) offers Celso Furtado Prize in social sciences for the scientists from developing countries. Full details:
School (Institutions / Country): Research in Brazil
Deadline: 28th February 2013
Funded by: Brazilian Government
Beneficiaries(Target Group): The prize is Open for scientists from a developing country .
‣ Scholarship Duration: The prize is applicable for four years.
‣ Scholarship covers: the prize has Annual value of US$15,000
‣ The prize reflects the Brazilian government’s strong support for TWAS and, more generally, for helping to build scientific capacity in the developing world.
‣ Such support has been reflected in the efforts of the former Presidents of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso ( The World Academy of Sciences Fellow 1984) and Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, and the former Ministers of Science and Technology José Israel Vargas ( The World Academy of Sciences Fellow 1988) and Sergio Rezende ( The World Academy of Sciences Fellow 2004).
‣ President Cardoso and Minister Vargas played central roles in the creation of the The World Academy of Sciences-Celso Furtado Prize in Social Sciences.”
‣ The World Academy of Sciences-Celso Furtado Prize is named after the renowned Brazilian economist, Celso Monteiro Furtado (1920-2004).
‣ Furtado’s research focused on the plight of the poor in Brazil and throughout South America.
‣ He emphasized the importance of devising economic development policies that focused on building a strong industrial base for what he often referred to as ‘peripheral economies’.
‣ He also foresaw the rise of a globalized world, which he said would be spurred by ‘the spread of the world economy’, and he urged developing countries to take steps to ensure that they would not be marginalized in the face of these trends.
‣ From 2012 for four years an annual prize of US$15,000 will be awarded in the field of Social Sciences.
‣ The prize is accompanied by a medal.
‣ The prize will be presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of The World Academy of Sciences.
‣ Candidates for the TWAS Celso Furtado Prize in Social Sciences must be scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least ten years immediately prior to their nomination.
‣ They must meet the following criterion:
‣ Selection of the awardees is made on merit and on the recommendations of the selection committees composed of The World Academy of Sciences members.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Apply by email.
‣ Please Click on the links below to download the nomination form and information sheet (Word files).
‣ Scholarship Applications are due by 28th February 2013.
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website
‣ Inquiries and completed nomination forms should be addressed to:
You may also like
Scholarship Tags: World, Academy, Sciences , Celso Furtado, Prize, in Social , Brzil, Government of Brazil, developing, countries, research, 2013,
Share Online - If you can, help others.