Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships in Mathematics at Boston University, USA , and applications are submitted till April 1, 2017. PROMYS at Boston University offer two Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships in Mathematics for mathematically talented low-income students. These fellowships are available for Indian high school students to attend six weeks of PROMYS at Boston University in the U.S. Each Fellowship will cover all tuition and room and board costs for attending the six weeks of PROMYS as well as cover roundtrip airfare from India (Mumbai to Boston to Mumbai – or equivalent travel) and the cost of any required books. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Fellowships are available for high school student to attend six weeks of PROMYS at Boston University in the U.S.
Deadline: April 1, 2017
Funded By: PROMYS
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships are targeted for Citizens of India
‣ Award No: There are two fellowships available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellowships are awarded for the duration of six-week.July 2 - August 12, 2017
‣ Scholarship covers: Each Mehta Fellowship will cover all tuition and room and board costs for attending the six weeks of PROMYS at Boston University, in Boston, Massachusetts in the U.S. The Fellowship will cover roundtrip airfare from India (Mumbai to Boston to Mumbai – or equivalent travel) and the cost of any required books.
‣ PROMYS is a six-week summer program at Boston University designed to encourage strongly motivated high school students to explore in depth the creative world of mathematics in a supportive community of peers, counselors, research mathematicians, and visiting scientists. Professor Glenn Stevens, the Director of PROMYS, founded the program in 1989 together with other members of the current faculty.
‣ Indian citizen;
‣ Full-time high school student in India;
‣ Low-income and unable to take advantage of an opportunity such as PROMYS without a full scholarship;
‣ Between 15 and 19 years of age (inclusive) at the start of PROMYS (June 28, 2016);
‣ Extremely interested in mathematics and in working hard to solve challenging problems in mathematics;
‣ Exceptionally talented at mathematics;
‣ Proficient in English: Able to participate fully in mathematical discussions held entirely in English;
‣ Comfortable being away from their family and their home for six weeks in the unfamiliar but very friendly and supportive community at PROMYS at Boston University in the United States.
‣ Accepted to PROMYS through the Tara- Jasubhai Mehta Fellowship application process described below.
Scholarship Application Method
Mehta Fellowship Application Process:
There are 6 required elements to the Fellowship application, all of which should be submitted online. All must be completed by the application deadline of April 1, 2017 (11:59 EST)
1) Online Mehta Fellowship Application HERE. You will be asked to upload your solutions to the application problems and your school transcript;
2) Application Problem Set Solutions. The application problem set can be downloaded HERE. You will be asked to upload your solutions (as a single PDF no larger than 10 MB) when you are completing your online Mehta Fellowship Application. Please give yourself plenty of time to think about the problems and to write up your solutions. If you are handwriting your solutions, please use dark ink and wide margins so a scan of your work will be legible. Please do not send a photo/JPEG of your solutions since we are generally unable to read these;
3) School Transcript or Grade Report. You will be asked to upload your school report (as a PDF) when you are completing your online Mehta Fellowship Application. (We are not able to process transcripts which are labeled "Secure." If your transcript is in this encrypted format, please send us a scan or screen shot as a PDF.)
4) Online Letter of Recommendation Form HERE to be completed by the applicant's mathematics teacher, mathematics coach, or mathematics mentor. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to ask his or her recommendation writer to submit this form. PROMYS will not be contacting your teacher. We strongly encourage you to follow up with your teacher to ensure the recommendation is submitted in a timely manner;
5) Online Mehta Fellowship Financial Form HERE to be completed by the applicant’s parent or guardian;
6) Proof of Income - to be uploaded with the financial form.
Fellowship Finalists will be asked to participate in an interview, by telephone or Skype.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on April 1, 2017.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detbailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.