Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships in Mathematics at Boston University, USA , and applications are submitted till March 31, 2018. PROMYS at Boston University offer two Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships in Mathematics for mathematically talented low-income students. These fellowships are available for Indian high school students to attend six weeks of PROMYS at Boston University in the U.S. Each Fellowship will cover all tuition and room and board costs for attending the six weeks of PROMYS as well as cover roundtrip airfare from India (Mumbai to Boston to Mumbai – or equivalent travel) and the cost of any required books. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Fellowships are available for high school student to attend six weeks of PROMYS at Boston University in the U.S.
Deadline: March 31, 2018.
Funded By: PROMYS
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships are targeted for Citizens of India
‣ Award No: There are two fellowships available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellowships are awarded for the duration of six-weekJuly 1 - August 11, 2018.
‣ Scholarship covers: Each Mehta Fellowship will cover all tuition and room and board costs for attending the six weeks of PROMYS at Boston University, in Boston, Massachusetts in the U.S. The Fellowship will cover roundtrip airfare from India (Mumbai to Boston to Mumbai – or equivalent travel) and the cost of any required books.
‣ PROMYS is a six-week summer program at Boston University designed to encourage strongly motivated high school students to explore in depth the creative world of mathematics in a supportive community of peers, counselors, research mathematicians, and visiting scientists. Professor Glenn Stevens, the Director of PROMYS, founded the program in 1989 together with other members of the current faculty.
‣ Indian citizen;
‣ Full-time high school student in India;
‣ Low-income and unable to take advantage of an opportunity such as PROMYS without a full scholarship;
‣ Between 15 and 19 years of age (inclusive) at the start of PROMYS (June 28, 2018);
‣ Extremely interested in mathematics and in working hard to solve challenging problems in mathematics;
‣ Exceptionally talented at mathematics;
‣ Proficient in English: Able to participate fully in mathematical discussions held entirely in English;
‣ Comfortable being away from their family and their home for six weeks in the unfamiliar but very friendly and supportive community at PROMYS at Boston University in the United States.
‣ Accepted to PROMYS through the Tara- Jasubhai Mehta Fellowship application process described below.
Scholarship Application Method
Please click HERE for the 2018 Mehta Fellowship flyer.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the Mehta Fellowships.
Mehta Fellowship Application Process:
There are five required elements to the Fellowship application, which should be submitted online (in any order) by the application deadline of March 31, 2018 (11:59 EST). Data submitted via the PROMYS site is encrypted and securely processed and stored.
1) PROMYS Application HERE. Towards the end of the application, you will be asked to state that you are applying for a Mehta Fellowship. You will also be asked to upload your solutions to the application problems and your school transcript;
2) Application Problem Set Solutions. The application problem set can be downloaded HERE. You will be asked to upload your solutions (as a single PDF no larger than 10 MB) when you are completing your online PROMYS Application. Please give yourself plenty of time to think about the problems and to write up your solutions. If you are handwriting your solutions, please use dark ink and wide margins so a scan of your work will be legible. Please do not send a photo/JPEG of your solutions since we are generally unable to read these;
3) School Transcript or Grade Report. You will be asked to upload your school report (as a PDF) when you are completing your online PROMYS Application. (We are not able to process transcripts which are labeled "Secure." If your transcript is in this encrypted format, please send us a scan or screen shot as a PDF.)
4) Mehta Teacher Recommendation Form HERE to be completed by the applicant's mathematics teacher, mathematics coach, or mathematics mentor. Please note
a) Mehta applicants should submit the Mehta Teacher Recommendation Form above, not the regular PROMYS Teacher Recommendation Form on the Student Application page; and
b) It is the applicant’s responsibility to ask his or her recommendation writer to submit this form. PROMYS will not be contacting your teacher. Please follow up with your teacher to ensure the recommendation is submitted by the application deadline of March 31.
5) Mehta Fellowship Financial Form HERE to be completed by the applicant’s parent or guardian (not the PROMYS Financial Aid Application on the Student Application page which is for U.S. students). The form will require proof of income to be uploaded.
Fellowship Finalists will be asked to participate in an interview, by telephone or Skype.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on March 31, 2018. Dates of PROMYS 2018: July 1 - August 11, 2018.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detbailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.