State Scholarships Foundation for International Students in Greece, and applications are submitted till June 16, 2014. Applications are invited for State Scholarships Foundation available for foreign citizens to undertake PhD and postdoctoral research studies commencing in the academic year 2014-2015. There are up to twenty (20) scholarships available. Scholarships are open to all nationals (non-Greek Nationals and non-Greek Nationals of Greek origin) of Balkan and Eastern European countries (Member and non-Member States of the European Union), Asia, Africa and Latin America, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Japan and Oceania. The duration of the total scholarship is for a continuous period of time. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Greece
Level: PhD and Postdoctoral Research Studies.
Field(s): any subject area currently available at the Greek Universities, provided that this is part of the study programme in the host university.
Deadline: June 16, 2014.
Funded By: PhD and postdoctoral research studies.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): State Scholarships Foundation is targeted for All nationals (non-Greek Nationals and non-Greek Nationals of Greek origin) of Balkan and Eastern European countries (non-Member States of the European Union), Asia, Africa and Latin America and all nationals (non-Greek Nationals and non-Greek Nationals of Greek origin) of the European Union (Member States), Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Japan and Oceania) can apply these State Scholarships Foundation.
‣ Award No: There are up to twenty (20) State Scholarships Foundation available (for target group I: 10 scholarships for a PhD, 10 scholarships for a postdoctoral research and for target group II: 5 scholarships for a PhD and 5 scholarships for a Postdoctoral Research).
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships for doctoral studies (PhD) are for one year up to three years and for postdoctoral research are six (6) months up to two (2) years in combination with optional Modern Greek Language courses (held in a School of Modern Greek Language, at a state Greek University) will be awarded.
The renewal of the scholarship is decided by the Administrative Board of the Foundation according to the scholar’s programme of study and is subject to satisfactory progress. In all cases, the I.K.Y. takes into account all submitted reports and decides upon the total duration of each scholarship.
‣ Scholarship covers: The scholarship covers the following costs: -600,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) as a fixed contribution for initial expenses. -Free cost emergency medical treatment under the Greek National Health Service (only in State hospitals). European citizens should have the European Insurance – Illness Card from their insurance agency of their country. -Living expenses: for doctoral studies: a monthly allowance of 600,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation); for postdoctoral research: a monthly allowance of 800,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) -The full cost of tuition fees (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) related to Modern Greek language courses attended in a state School of Modern Greek Language at a Greek University (where applicable). -The scholarships for doctoral studies include as well up to 300,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) to cover binding and printing costs of the PhD thesis at the end of the scholarship.
‣ The State Scholarships Foundation (I.K.Y.) announces that it will offer up to twenty (20) scholarships to all nationals (non-Greek Nationals and non-Greek Nationals of Greek origin) of Balkan and Eastern European countries (non-Member States of the European Union), Asia, Africa and Latin America and up to ten (10) scholarships to all nationals (non-Greek Nationals and non-Greek Nationals of Greek origin) of the European Union (Member States), Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, U.S.A., Canada, Japan and Oceania, for research in Greece, commencing in the academic year 2014-2015.
‣ Be foreign nationals (non-Greek Nationals or non-Greek Nationals of Greek origin).
‣ Hold only non-Greek citizenship (not dual citizenship- foreign and Greek).
‣ Not exceed the age limit of 35 years (year of birth after 1979 and onwards) by the application deadline, for those applying for the PhD degree. No age limit for postdoctoral research.
‣ Hold a graduate degree (Bachelor) from a foreign recognised higher education institution.
‣ Hold a postgraduate degree (Master’s or equivalent) from a foreign or a Greek University (for prospective PhD applicants).
‣ Hold a doctoral degree (PhD) completed at a foreign or a Greek University (for postdoctoral applicants). However, their graduate degree should be from a foreign University.
‣ Have a very good command of English (at least C1, according to the Common European Framework for Languages of the Council of Europe).
‣ Have never been on a scholarship from the I.K.Y. (those who have been granted a scholarship for the IKY Programme “Greek Language and Culture” are entitled to apply).
‣ Have not undertaken studies in Greece on a scholarship provided by any Greek public (state) authority.
‣ Candidates are selected on a competitive basis by Decision of the Administrative Board of I.K.Y. and should all numbers of scholarships be not covered under one target group (for both categories), they will be covered by the other one.
‣ Applicants will be notified about the outcome of their application by September 2014.
‣ Intending applicants meeting the above requirements by the application deadline should submit through the Greek Diplomatic Authorities in their country of residence (or in a neighbouring country in case of absence of a Greek Embassy or Consulate in their country) the following documents:
‣ An application form (available from the Greek Diplomatic Mission, or the I.K.Y., or downloaded copy from the I.K.Y. website at: www.iky.gr) duly completed, signed and with one recent photograph attached.
‣ An up-to-date curriculum vitae in English or Greek language.
‣ Certified copies of the university degrees obtained (please ensure that all qualifications gained at degree (i.e. university) level and above are included).
‣ Submission of Diploma Supplement is accepted as well (abroad).
‣ A research proposal with the topic. -A formal letter, from a Faculty or Department of a state University or Research Institution based in Greece, certifying their undertaking of a doctoral / postdoctoral research, signed by the supervisor appointed.
‣ A formal letter (or relevant certificate) indicating the very good command -both written and verbal- of English language (in case of non native speakers).
‣ Two (2) letters of reference of two (2) academics (who are familiar with the area of research and explaining how the qualification aimed at would benefit the candidate’s research career). References must only be submitted in Greek, English or French.
‣ A recent (issued 1 month approximately prior to the application submission) national hospital certificate or a certificate from the relevant recognized health service stating that the applicant does not suffer from any infectious diseases.
‣ A copy of a valid passport/national identity card (where applicable).
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on June 16, 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.