Special Scholarship Program (SSP) for International Doctoral Students in Japan, and applications are submitted till September 15, 2017 for April 2018 Enrollment: (The Second Deadline). Kochi University of Technology offers special scholarship program for international students to pursue doctoral degree within the department of Engineering at Graduate School of Engineering. The scholarship is awarded for one year but the term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Kochi University of Technology | Japan
Level: Doctoral Degree
Field(s): Scholarships are awarded in the Department of Engineering at Graduate School of Engineering.
Deadline: April 2018 Enrollment: (The Second Deadline)
Application Deadline: *September 15, 2017
Funded By: Kochi University of Technology
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Special Scholarship Program is targeted for international students.
‣ Award No: No more than 3 SSP students
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarship is offered for one year but the term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated below:
(1) In the case where a student’s report, submitted in accordance with term 5-(2), is assessed as being below the standard for SSP students. (2) In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for an SSP student.
‣ Scholarship covers: 1) Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee. (2) To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid for research project work. (3) 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs (given only to foreign students who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, “Student” status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
‣ The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) established in 2003 in order to support the advanced research of the university by enlisting the help of highly capable students especially students from foreign countries.
‣ Every year in April and October, the university enrolls selected doctoral students for specific research projects.
‣ The students pursue the doctoral course in English (excl. Japanese students) while at the same time assisting their host professor as a research assistant (RA).
‣ Through this program KUT wishes to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world.
Selection Criteria for Special Scholarship Program
‣ The submitted documents will be carefully examined in the course of the first screening. Only applicants who are successful in that screening will then be examined in such forms as an interview, an English written exam, an academic achievement written exam in the specialized field required for the conduct of the selected research project, etc.
‣ Applicants will be notified about Primary Screening Result by End of November, 2017 and about Admission Decision by End of December, 2017.
We do Not accept any application documents by e-mail.
ALL required documents listed below must arrive at the International Relations Division by the deadline. The documents submitted will not be returned.
1.Application form --- Please TYPE all items in the form except your signature on page 4.2.Original bachelor's degree academic transcript in English/Japanese. (Include date of issue)
Photocopy or English translation should be verified and bears FRESH school stamp by the university from which you received your bachelor's degree or by a notary public.
3.Original master's degree academic transcript in English/Japanese. (Include date of issue)
Photocopy or English translation should be verified and bears FRESH school stamp by the university from which you received (or will receive) your master's degree or by a notary public.
*If you are still working towards your master's degree, submit a provisional academic transcript.
*In case that an academic transcript is not available because the degree program does not offer course work but only research based, please submit a certificate issued by the university which states the program is research based. (e.g. current enrollment certificate). Please let us know in case you cannot prepare such a certificate.
*If you acquire or will acquire two master's degrees or a higher degree, please submit academic transcripts for all the degrees you acquired or will acquire.
4.Original master's degree certificate in English/Japanese.
Photocopy or English translation should be verified and bears FRESH school stamp by the university from which you received your master's degree or by a notary public.
*If you are still working towards your master's degree, submit a certificate issued by the university which states the expected date of acquisition of your master's degree.
Use KUT official SSP form No. 1.
*If you have already received your degree,
a) The certificate should clearly state that you have received your master's degree. Completion of a program is not sufficient.
b) Submit your FINAL (OFFICIAL) degree certificate. A provisional certificate is not acceptable.
*The certificate should be for the degree which is comparable to or is higher than the one offered at KUT (master’s degree) after 18 years of education.
5.(1) Past fields of study in English --- approximately 1 page.
(2) Research outline in English --- Research outline which you plan to do at KUT, approximately 1 page.6.Two signed recommendation letters in English/Japanese.
7.Original certificate of health in English/Japanese issued within the past 6 months.
Use KUT official SSP form No.3.
For those who are affiliated with a university, organization or company in Japan and have an annual health checkup, health certificates in different formats are also acceptable.
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Date:
April 2018 Enrollment: (The Second Deadline)
Application Deadline: *September 15, 2017
Notification of Primary Screening Result- End of November, 2017
(To be notified individually)
Secondary Screening- To be scheduled individually after due consultation
Notification of Admission Decision- End of December, 2017
(To be notified individually)
Registration Period/Deadline- *January 12, 2018
‣ All required documents listed below must arrive at the International Relations Division by the deadline. The documents submitted will not be returned.
. OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Division
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada, Kami City
Kochi 782-8502, JAPAN
(1) If you are still working towards your master's degree, a verified original master's degree certificate in English /Japanese from your university will be required before your enrollment can be completed. If you are not able to produce such a document, you will not be enrolled.
(2) Students who join the projects in Economics and Management will conduct their research at Eikokuji campus which is located in down town Kochi City, 25 km from the main campus (Kami campus), and those students are also required to take classes once or twice a week at main campus. The most common means of transportation between Eikokuji campus and Kami campus are bus or JR train, and it takes around one hour.
(3) If your application to KUT is successful and your resident status in Japan is “Student”, KUT will assist you in finding appropriate single accommodation.
At Kami campus, you can live in the International House if there is vacancy.
At Eikokuji campus, International students can receive assistance in finding accommodation from the Student Support Division.
If you wish to bring your family members and live with them in Japan, or if you wish to change your accommodation, you must initiate your own apartment rental.
In any case, you need to bear your own costs.
(4) To complete the doctoral program as a SSP Student, you need to meet all of the following conditions.
(a) 3 year’s enrollment at KUT
(b) 10 or more credits earned
(c) Successful completion of the doctoral dissertation defense after receiving a preliminary assessment held more than one year in advance
(d) Publication of two or more high level reviewed papers
(5) Students enrolled in this program can obtain Doctor of Engineering or Doctor of Philosophy depending on the research field.
(6) Newly admitted foreign doctoral students will be charged about 33,000 yen as insurance premium. The students who do not have “Student” status of Japanese residence will be charged 3,000 yen as insurance premium. (The price is subject to change.)
(7) 3,000 yen will be charged as dues for alumni association membership. (The price is subject to change.) The students who do not have “Student” status of Japanese residence will be charged 20,000 yen for alumni association membership.
(8) In any case where a SSP student is selected as a recipient of another institution’s scholarship, his/her monthly pay as described in 7 (2) will be adjusted according to KUT’s rule.
(9) The abstract of your doctoral dissertation and the results of your dissertation defense will be published on the web within 3 months after the conferment of your doctoral degree, and the full text of your dissertation will be published on the web within 1 year after the conferment of your doctoral degree.
In cases where it seems inappropriate to publish a doctoral dissertation on the web due to a patent application related to the research, or some other special reasons, Kochi University of Technology may suspend the publication of the full text of a dissertation, and publish only its abstract on the web. Even in such cases, if publication of the full text of a dissertation is requested, and Kochi University of Technology agrees to the necessity, the full text of your doctoral dissertation may be disclosed.
(10) Please note that KUT takes trust, truthfulness and academic integrity very seriously and we therefore expect applications to contain only true and complete information about the applicant. Applicants should be aware that KUT will take stern, corrective measures such as payment of exempted tuition fees, or even expulsion from the university, against any student found to have applied with false, incomplete, or missing information, including omission of information regarding educational background.
(11) In the event that Kochi University of Technology alters the system of SSP, the terms and conditions will be revised accordingly.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.