South Africa-Taiwan Joint Science Research Grants , and applications are submitted till 30 June 2015. National Research Foundation is offering South Africa/Taiwan Joint Science and Technology Research projects. The projects will be supported for a period of three years for research activities commencing in 2016. Funding will be made available for conducting joint research projects only, and only in the following identified priority areas: E-learning, Innovation Enablers, Biosciences; and Nanotechnology. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa and the Republic of China (Taiwan)
Level: research programme
Field(s): Funding will be provided in the following areas of E-learning, Innovation Enablers, Biosciences; and Nanotechnology.
Deadline: 30 June 2015
Funded By: National Research Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): South Africa-Taiwan Joint Science Research Grants are targeted for applicants from South Africa and Taiwan are eligible to apply for this programme.
‣ Award No: Only a maximum of Six (6) Joint projects will be funded for this call.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The projects will be supported for a period of three years for research activities commencing in 2016.
‣ Scholarship covers: South Africa: The total amount requested from the NRF should not exceed R570 000. Funding will be made available for a maximum of three years, to be paid in annual installments (R190 000 per year) and exclusively for research activities commencing in 2016. Note that a commitment to both scientific and financial reporting on the project following its completion is an obligatory condition of funding. Please also note that the requested amounts do not necessarily imply that this amount will be awarded upon selection for funding.
Taiwan: The total amount requested from MOST should not exceed US$60, 000. Funding will be made available for three years, to be paid in annual installments (a maximum of US$20,000 per year).
‣ Following the bilateral agreement on cooperation between South Africa and the Republic of China (Taiwan) in science and technology, a second Joint Committee Meeting was held in Taipei, Taiwan, on 22 May 2014.
‣ During the meeting specific areas of cooperation were identified and the modalities for cooperation were agreed upon. The principle objective of the cooperation between the Parties is to foster scientific and technological collaboration by facilitating brain circulation between the two countries.
‣ The Parties intend to support South Africa-Taiwan Joint Science Research Grants and development activities and other forms of scientific and technical cooperation between South African and Taiwanese universities and research institutions.
‣ The cooperative programmes, projects, and research and development activities will be aimed at the implementation of joint research projects, human capital development, and students and staff exchanges.
‣ This call is open to working researchers residing in Taiwan with a ROC nationality and affiliated with a recognised higher education or research institution such as a university or an academic institution.
‣ An application must designate two principal investigators, one in South Africa and one in Taiwan, who will bear the main responsibility for the project, including its technical and administrative coordination as well as scientific and financial reporting. Commercial institutions and private education institutions are not eligible to apply under this programme.
Selection criteria for South Africa-Taiwan Joint Science Research Grants
These experts will evaluate each proposal based on the following criteria:
‣ Scientific and technical merit
‣ Suitability and feasibility
‣ International significance
‣ Value addition by the collaboration / national priority
‣ Possible impact of the research / national priority
‣ Potential for promoting equity and redress / capacity building
‣ Student involvement.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications must be submitted electronically on the NRF Online Submission System.
‣ Scholarship Applicatios are due on 30 June 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.