Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship for South African Students , and applications are submitted till 15 January 2018. National Youth Development Agency invites applications for Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship available for South African students. Scholarships are awarded for high school learners who plan to attend one of the participating universities as a 1st year full time student after completing the National Senior Certificate. The Scholarship will cover 100% of the cost for books, university residence meals, tuition, university accommodation and private accommodation. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa
Level: undergraduate studies at one of the participating universities
Field(s): Scholarships are awarded to study ICT, Law, Tourism, Geology, Logistics, Pharmacy, Journalism, Agriculture, Engineering, Development Studies and Supply Chain Management.
Deadline: 15 January 2018.
Funded By: National Youth Development Agency (NYDA
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship is targeted for South African citizens.
‣ Award No: Not Known
‣ Scholarship Duration: The scholarship is awarded for the duration of your studies however it is the responsibility of the student to submit all semester and annual results to the NYDA. The NYDA will only renew the scholarship if the student has passed all of his/ her major subjects.
‣ Scholarship covers: The Scholarship Fund will cover 100% of the cost for the following: - Books -University Residence Meals -Tuition -University accommodation Private accommodation (learner to provide proof that she/he applied for accommodation within institution on time but cannot be accommodate in the university’s residence and requires private accommodation). Private accommodation shall be prioritised for 1ST Year new scholarship holders who cannot be accommodated at university’s residence due to late application for admission.
‣ The Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship fund is designed to create an environment for affording the marginalized youth with excellent academic background, an opportunity to further their studies locally and abroad.
‣ Financial support will be provided to youth who pursue full time degrees that fall within the priority growth sectors, critical and scarce skills areas outlined in the labor planning frameworks of the country.
‣ The fund will be accessible to deserving South African youth who meet the minimum entry requirements set by the NYDA – youth who have been admitted for study at credible Universities and Universities of Technology, local and international. International scholarships will be considered if they have been endorsed by a South African government department or a credible public or private agency.
‣ Students must be applying for admission to one of the participating universities as a 1st year full time student in the courses listed in the table above
‣ High school learners who plan to attend one of the participating universities after completing the National Senior Certificate
‣ Must meet University Admission Points Score (APS) and achieve an average of 70% in the NSC exams
‣ Must be South African citizens between 14 – 35
‣ Financial neediness – combined household salary of less than R15 000 a month
‣ Reside in rural/semi-rural areas -Engage in community service
Selection Criteria for Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship
‣ A scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic excellence.
‣ Most funders will require an average of 80% or more however the NYDA is a youth development agency, it is targeting youth who have potential who are from previously disadvantaged backgrounds.
‣ Applications are to be made directly to the participating University/university of Technology which has full responsibility for receiving, processing applications, selecting and notifying recipients.
Applications for the 2018 academic year opened from the 18th September 2017.
CLICK HERE for online application.
CLICK HERE to download application form for postal/email applications.
Manual application forms should be sent to:
Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship Fund
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15 January 2018.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.