JSMC-ILRS Doctoral Research Positions in Germany , and applications are submitted till 13 March, 2015. The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites applications for up to 14 available doctoral positions for a period of three years at JSMC or ILRS. The research projects are available on several topics in Natural, Life and Computational Sciences. The PhD positions are available starting from June 2015. Salary will be paid according to TV-L (salary agreement for public service employees). Applications from disabled persons are also welcomed. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): the Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) or International Leibniz Research School (ILRS Jena). | Germany
Level: doctoral research
Field(s): Positions are available on several topics in Natural, Life and Computational Sciences. The following JSMC research projects are available: Analysis of the molecular interaction of the human pathogenic fungus Candida albicans with human immune effector cells; Modulation of Dendritic Cell Function by the fungal Quorum Sensing Molecule Farnesol; Chemical communication between bacteria in iron-rich lake aggregates; A natural product as a mediator of virulence in Ralstonia solanacearum, Bioinformatics analysis of molecular mimicry in pathogenic fungi; Quantitative Analysis of Intercellular Communication from Live Cell Imaging; Approaches to multilevel modelling of human-pathogenic fungi and the host immune system and Impact of Fe-availability on the gut microbiome of Spodoptora litoralis. The following are ILRS projects: Opportunistic mutualistic bacterial associations of Nicotiana attenuate; Identification of immunogenic components of Aspergillus fumigatus for vaccine development; Induction of tetrachloroethene respiration in Sulfurospirillum multivorans; Genome mining and synthetic biology for antibiotic discovery in anaerobic bacteria; Molecular dissection of early signaling response in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii under the influence of biotic and abiotic factors and Characterization of the immediate early response of human dendritic cells to Candida albicans.
Deadline: 13 March 2015
Funded By: German Excellence Initiative
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): SMC-ILRS Doctoral Research Positions are targeted for Researchers from all over the world can apply for these positions.
‣ Award No: There are 14 doctoral researcher positions available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Positions are available for a period of three years. The PhD positions are available starting from June 2015.
‣ Scholarship covers: The university offers:
‣ The Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) is funded by the German Excellence Initiative. JSMC is an ambitious Graduate School with over 150 doctoral researchers who are educated in a structured, interdisciplinary training program based on top-level fundamental research.
‣ It conceptionally combines different research areas to a comprehensive picture of microbial communication.
‣ Institutes at five faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, six non-university research institutes as well as 12 partner companies are participating in this cutting-edge research and training program.
‣ The International Leibniz Research School (ILRS Jena) is the graduate training program of the Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute – in cooperation with the Friedrich Schiller University and the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology.
‣ It provides excellent research conditions and ambitious projects covering all aspects of microbial and biomolecular interactions.
‣ Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural or Life Sciences (e.g., Biology, Chemistry, Bioinformatics, Geosciences, Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, etc.). Candidates about to obtain their degree are welcome to apply.
‣ high motivation and interest in joining one of the interdisciplinary research areas of the JSMC
‣ creativity and interest in shaping your own thesis project.
‣ an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the livey JSMC Community
‣ very good communication skills in English (the language of instruction at the JSMC).
‣ applications from disabled persons are also welcomed.
Notification for SMC-ILRS Doctoral Research Positions
‣ Selected applicants will be invited to the JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, on May 11th-13th, 2015.
‣ Awarding decisions will be made shortly thereafter, allowing the projects to start immediately.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ The application procedure takes place exclusively online via the JSMC website.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 13 March 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.