Shuttleworth Fellowship Program for International Fellows, and Applications for the March fellowship intake closes15 October & for 1 September fellowship intake closes 1 May. Applications are invited for one year Shuttleworth fellowship program available for international fellows. The co-investment project funding is the most unique part of the Fellowship Program, as Fellows are rewarded for investing in their own ideas. An amount of $245,000 is set aside per Fellow per year as potential project funding. This funding is unlocked through a light weight project pitch process and the Foundation tops up the Fellow’s own investment by adding at least 10 times as much funding from their project funding pool. Imagine the cost of a Fellow’s time for the year is agreed at $1000. As the fellowship year progresses, the Fellow realises that it would be beneficial to spend $100 in order to advance their idea. The Fellow then takes $900 home for the cost of her time and reinvests $100 back into the implementation of her idea, while the Foundation contributes at least another $1000, giving her a project budget of $1100. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Fellows work from where they are, with an open door to visit the Foundation’s head office in Cape Town, South Africa.
Level: Fellowships ( This is one year fellowship programme available for individuals to implement their innovative idea for social change)
Field(s): The Foundation offers fellowships to individuals to implement their innovative idea for social change. Foundation is most interested in exceptional ideas at the intersection between openness, technology, knowledge and learning. Ideas that would really move the dial on access to global knowledge, social and economic development.
Deadline: Deadline: Applications for the March fellowship intake closes15 October & for 1 September fellowship intake closes 1 May.
Funded By: Shuttleworth Foundation Trust
Beneficiaries(Target Groups):Shuttleworth Fellowship is targeted for International applicants.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: This Shuttleworth Fellowship is awarded for one year with the possibility of renewal based on reapplication.
‣ Scholarship covers: The equivalent of a year’s salary, a contribution towards expenses plus access to a travel allowance. In addition, the Fellow will have access to potential project funding from the Foundation, who will match the Fellow’s personal investment in projects by at least ten fold. The total grant amount will be based on the Fellow’s qualifications, experience and comparable cost of time for their skill level.
‣ The Foundation offers Shuttleworth Fellowship to individuals to implement their innovative idea for social change.
‣ We are most interested in exceptional ideas at the intersection between openness, technology, knowledge and learning. Ideas that would really move the dial on access to global knowledge, social and economic development.
‣ The fellowship is not an academic fellowship aimed at research or academic study. Applicants should be social change agents who push boundaries and challenge accepted norms.
‣ They need not have all the answers, but should ask the right questions in a practical context. Fellows are expected to commit 100% of their time and attention to the focus area selected for their fellowship.
‣ The fellowship aims to free up the time of the Fellow to pursue their ideas in this area.
‣ The Fellow must submit any outside work, volunteer or otherwise, that they may want to conduct whilst on a Foundation Fellowship, to the Foundation for approval.
‣ Fellows are required to attend the bi-annual Fellows gatherings.
‣ Anyone who has an innovative idea for social change through fresh thinking that adds value in the areas of knowledge, learning and technology.
‣ Anyone who has a clear vision of how the world can be a better place and the contribution they can make to bringing about the change.
‣ The Shuttleworth Fellowship is not limited to any specific geographic location. However, applicants must be fluent in English.
‣ Fellowship applicants must have attained the age of majority by the date of application.
‣ Fellowship applications are reviewed by the Shuttleworth Foundation management team and advisers. Shortlisted candidates are invited for interviews.
‣ Applicants are required to apply via online.
Get StartedWe invite individuals with a fresh approach to solving a social challenge, using openness, to apply to our Fellowship Program.
Applicants may choose to make their application public at any time. You are most welcome to do so.
For those who choose not to, your application will remain private in its entirety within the Foundation and its immediate support network until such time as you may be offered a Fellowship. At that point, we will have a conversation on how best to share information about you as a Fellow in the interest of openness.
Applicants who choose to make their application public do not have a specific advantage over those who choose not to do so during the selection process.In order to keep your application private, you may choose to protect your video submission with a password.
Please submit the password along with the video link via our secure application form.No partial applications will be considered.
A full application comprises of
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Applications for the March fellowship intake closes15 October & for 1 September fellowship intake closes 1 May.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.