Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships for Italian and International Students at in Italy , and applications are submitted till 28 February 2015 for the spring session and 31 August 2015 for the autumn session. Scuola Normale Superiore is awarding up to 86 fully funded PhD scholarships for Italian and International citizens at university campuses (Pisa and Florence). Scholarship includes tuition, fees, and a cost-of living stipend (14,187 euro per year, plus free meals). The PhD courses have a duration of three years, except for those in “Biophysical Sciences” and in “Neurosciences”, which have a duration of four years. All courses will start on 1st November 2015. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Italy
Level: PhD research programme
Field(s): Scholarships are awarded in the following fields: Philosophy, Modern Literature and Philology, Classics, History of Art, Modern and Contemporary History, Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Methods and Models for Molecular Sciences, Neurosciences, Biophysical Sciences, Florence, Renaissance Studies (joint degree with the National Institute for Renaissance Studies) and Political Science and Sociology (joint degree with the University of Bologna).
Deadline: 28 February 2015 for the spring session and 31 August 2015 for the autumn session.
Funded By: Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships are targeted for Open for International and Italian students
‣ Award No: Total of 86 posts for PhD courses are available as follows:
-Pisa site: Philosophy – 7 posts, Modern Literature and Philology – 8 posts, Classics – 6 posts, History of Art -5 posts scholarships, Modern and Contemporary History – 5 posts, Physics – 7 posts,
Condensed Matter Physics – 6 posts, Mathematics – 6 posts, Financial Mathematics – 5 posts, Methods and Models for Molecular Sciences –4 posts scholarships, Neurosciences –5 posts and Biophysical Sciences – 8 posts.
Florence site: Renaissance Studies (joint degree with the National Institute for Renaissance Studies) – 4 posts and Political Science and Sociology (joint degree with the University of Bologna) – 10 posts.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The PhD courses have a duration of three years, except for those in “Biophysical Sciences” and in “Neurosciences”, which have a duration of four years. All courses will start on 1st November 2015. The scholarship (Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships) for the PhD course will be paid in twelve deferred equal monthly installments, subject to the fulfillment of students’ academic duties.
‣ Scholarship covers: All students admitted to the PhD program receive full financial support. This includes tuition, fees, and a cost-of living stipend (14,187 euro per year, plus free meals). Support is independent of need provided a student remains in good academic standing and is making satisfactory progress towards his/her PhD degree. All students will be assigned further funding for their research activity and travel.
‣ Since its foundation in 1810, the Scuola Normale Superiore has built a reputation as one of the most successful universities – not only in Italy, but at an international level– in terms of offering to its students ideal conditions to train and develop skills in the field of scientific research.
‣ Enrico Fermi is but one of its famous alumni that comprise three Nobel prize winners, Presidents and Prime Ministers of the Italian Republic and many successful scientists and professionals.
‣ The Academic Ranking of World Universities rates the school among the top five universities in the world, and the first in Europe according to the per capita performance.
‣ The mission of Scuola Normale ( Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships ) is to select the best students and provide them with the most favorable conditions to develop their talents.
‣ They , Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships fellows , will join researchers and the Normale academic staff to form a community characterized by a constant exchange of ideas, skills, and expertise through an open dialogue both in Pisa and in Florence, the SNS headquarters.
‣ Students who choose to complete their education at the Scuola will find state-of-the-art facilities in the laboratories plus a unique combination of research groups, dedicated faculty, and one of the largest open-shelf libraries in Europe.
‣ Degrees from outside Italy will be checked, merely for the purposes of the selection process, by the call commission, in accordance with the prevailing legislation in Italy and in the country where the degree was issued and with any international treaties or agreements for the recognition of degrees for the continuation of studies. Admission to the call ( Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships ) is restricted to candidates who:
Selection Criteria for Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships
‣ For the evaluation of candidates’ aptitude for scientific research and their basic preparedness to tackle the course programme, each admission commission will have a hundred points at its disposal for each candidate, sixty for the evaluation of their qualifications and forty for the interview.
‣ Candidates will be admitted to the interview if they receive at least forty points in the evaluation of their qualifications.
‣ To pass the interview, candidates must attain at least thirty points. Suitability for the PhD course is subject to passing the interview. The qualifications will be evaluated as a whole.
Notification for Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships
‣ The outcome of the evaluation of qualifications and admission to the interview will be published by the 27th March 2015 for the spring session, and by the 16th September 2015 for the autumn session.
‣ The interviews will take place at the SNS sites on the following dates: spring session: starting on 8th April 2015 and autumn session: starting on 21st September 2015.
‣ Applications should be submitted online.
‣ Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships candidates must enclose with their application the following documents in PDF format:
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The application deadlines are 28 February 2015 for the spring session and 31 August 2015 for the autumn session.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.