SANBI Biological Invasions Bursaries for South Africa Students, and applications are submitted till 31 October 2014. South African National Biodiversity Institute is awarding research bursaries for South African students to conduct research on various aspects of managing invasions. Candidates must be pro-active, enthusiastic, and interested in doing excellent research that can make a difference. Bursaries are awarded as follows: four for Honours with the duration of 1 year; six for masters for a period of 2 years; three for doctoral 2 year period and two for 2 year postdoctoral program. Bursary will cover living expenses and university fees. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa
Level: Master, Honours, Doctoral, Postdoctoral Research Program
Field(s): Bursaries are awarded only for the projects relevant to one of SANBI’s ISP focus areas (detection, post-border risk assessment, and eradication planning). However, the topic can be any terrestrial, marine or freshwater taxa, or specific pathways or areas
Deadline: 31 October 2014
Funded By: South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI), South Africa
Beneficiaries(Target Groups):SANBI Biological Invasions Bursaries are targeted for South African citizens
‣ Award No: These research bursaries are awarded as follows: four for Honours; six for masters; three for doctoral and two for postdoctoral program.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The duration of bursaries are as follows: Honours/4th year undergraduate: 1 year Masters: 2 years Doctoral: 3 years Post-doctoral: 2 years
‣ Scholarship covers: Bursary value to cover living expenses and university fees: Honours/4th year undergraduate: R 60,000 p.a.; Masters: R 105,000 p.a.; Doctoral: R 135,000 p.a.; Post-doctoral: R 240,000 p.a. An application for a Masters or a Doctoral bursary can be considered for a one-year project development internship should the applicant be unlikely to finish their studies within the prescribed period of time. In such cases, a candidate may be offered an internship interview as per SANBI’s internship programme protocol. A project development intern is expected to reapply for a bursary the following year. Project running expenses will be covered separately to the bursaries and will vary depending on the project. Unsuccessful or ineligible applicants may be considered for support with project running costs if their projects are closely aligned to SANBI ISP’s focus areas.
‣ 4 x Honours; 6 x Masters; 3 x Doctoral; 2 x Post-doctoral bursaries are available to conduct research on various aspects of managing invasions as part of the Department of Environmental Affairs funded South African National Biodiversity Institute’s Invasive Species Programme (SANBI’s ISP).
‣ Only projects relevant to one of SANBI’s ISP focus areas (detection, post-border risk assessment, and eradication planning) will be considered.
‣ However, the topic can be any terrestrial, marine or freshwater taxa, or specific pathways or areas.
‣ Candidates must be pro-active, enthusiastic, and interested in doing excellent research that can make a difference.
‣ Student bursaries are only available to South African citizens and will be awarded in line with national equity targets.
‣ Post-doctoral research bursaries are open to anyone who has completed their PhD in the last five years.
‣ Honours students need to apply to a university honours programme themselves and the bursary is conditional upon them securing their position in such a programme.
Notification for SANBI Biological Invasions Bursaries
‣ Successful candidates will be notified in mid-November.
‣ Each application is to be accompanied by a standard bursary application cover sheet.
‣ Applications are to include a full CV; certified copies of ID and academic record; two letters of academic reference; an agreement from a prospective academic supervisor; for Hons. a one page statement of interest in invasion biology; and for MSc, PhD and post-docs a two-page project outline.
‣ Send all documents to students-at-sanbi.org.za with “SANBI ISP bursaries” in the subject line.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 31 October 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to applyfor this scholarship.