Research Awards for SABMiller Royal Society Exchange Programme , and applications are submitted till 30 April 2015. The Royal Society invites applications for exchange programme from sub-Saharan African and UK based scientists. Collaborations should be based on a single project between “the applicant” (UK based scientist) and “co-applicant” (African based scientist). The programme will focus on, but not be restricted to Ghana and Tanzania. The award lasts for 3 years. The total value of the award over 3 years is £21,000. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK (Sub-Saharan African scientists) and and Sub-Saharan Africa (UK scientists)
Level: research project
Field(s): The Programme will concentrate on three research areas: Water and Sanitation–including water engineering and irrigation, waste water management, and other related projects; Agriculture (except animal or veterinary science) and Crop Science (land, soil management and crop production) and Renewable Energy-including solar-/wind-/hydro-energies, energy capture and storage and other related projects.
Deadline: 30 April 2015.
Funded By: SABMiller plc, UK
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Research Awards for SABMiller Royal Society Exchange Programme is targeted for Scientists from UK and Sub-Saharan Africa (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea,
Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe) can apply for this exchange programme (The programme will focus on, but not be restricted to Ghana and Tanzania).
‣ Award No: Up to 5 awards per round will be awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The award lasts for 3 years.
‣ Scholarship covers: The award will cover the costs of travel and subsistence up to £5,000 per year for training purposes and funds up to £2,000 per year for research costs. The total value of the award over 3 years is £21,000.
‣ The SABMiller Royal Society Exchange Programme will provide awards of three years’ duration to enable African scientists in sub-Saharan Africa to partner with UK-based institutions.
‣ The Royal Society has received funding from SABMiller plc to support a 5 year programme to expand its capacity building activities in Africa.
‣ As a result, the Royal Society has launched a new scheme, the SABMiller Royal Society Exchange Programme, aimed at supporting collaborative research projects between researchers in the UK and researchers in sub-Saharan Africa.
‣ The Research Awards for SABMiller Royal Society Exchange Programme will focus on, but not be restricted to Ghana and Tanzania.
‣ have a PhD or equivalent research experience
‣ hold a permanent or fixed term contract in an eligible university or research institute which must span the duration of the project
‣ Collaborations should be based on a single project between “the applicant” (UK based scientist) and “co-applicant” (African based scientist).
‣ Applicants should ensure that they meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes.
Selection Criteria for Research Awards for SABMiller Royal Society Exchange Programme
‣ The primary considerations are listed below:
‣ The UK and African scientists have strong research background which are well suited to the project.
‣ The UK and African Scientists appears well matched and complementary in their research experience.
‣ Both host institutions are sufficiently strong in the proposed area of research.
‣ The partnership offers a strong opportunity for long-term research collaboration.
‣ The quality of the research proposal is strong.
‣ Results will be released by email in August 2015.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications can only be submitted using online application mode.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 30 April 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.