Postdoctoral Research Training Fellowships for Clinicians in UK or Republic of Ireland, and applications are submitted till 11 January 2016. The Welcome Trust is offering postdoctoral research training fellowships for clinicians to obtain high-quality postdoctoral training that will lay the foundations for a successful independent research career. These awards are open to individuals with a relevant connection to the European Economic Area, for Fellowships to be held in a UK or Republic of Ireland institution. Awards will be made for two to four years. Applications should include provision for two to three years of full-time research during the Fellowship. Applicants may wish to integrate up to 12 months of clinical training (i.e. split your research and clinical duties for up to a total of 12 months). Full details:
Level: Fellowship scheme providing support for clinicians wishing to obtain high-quality postdoctoral training that will lay the foundations for a successful independent research career.
Field(s): clinical training.
Deadline: The preliminary application deadline is 30 October 2015 and the full application deadline is 11 January 2016.
Funded By: Wellcome Trust
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Postdoctoral Research Training Fellowships are targeted for individuals with a relevant connection to the European Economic Area (Austria Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and UK).
‣ No. of awards: not specified
‣ Scholarship Tenure : Awards are for two to four years, depending on whether or not you are planning to reintegrate into your clinical training programme.
‣Value of Scholarship : The total cost of a Fellowship would not normally exceed £350 000.
The Trust will provide the following costs for the duration of the grant, including those for any component of reintegration into clinical training:
Trust will provide you with a full clinical salary (typically
pre-consultant), as determined by the administering institution, for
the research-dedicated years of the Fellowship. During any period in
which you are reintegrating into your clinical training programme,
your salary will be funded on a shared basis, typically between the
Trust and the relevant clinical training authority, proportionate to
the amount of time spent on research/clinical training. Please note
that we are willing to consider salary requests at consultant level
if you are awarded an honorary consultant contract during the tenure
of the Fellowship. Fellowships may be taken up on a part-time
employment basis, where appropriate.
following non-salary costs may be requested:
‣ This is a flexible Postdoctoral Research Training Fellowships scheme to enable individuals to engage with areas of research that are new to them.
‣ It is for candidates who either undertook a PhD early in their career and now wish to refresh their research skills, or have recently completed a successful PhD and wish to explore a new research field or environment, to gain the skills that will help them answer their longer-term research vision.
‣ The scheme may be suitable for clinicians who:
Selection Criteria for Postdoctoral Research Training Fellowships
‣ Reviewers typically assess
Scholarship Application Method
The process consists of three stages:
Stage 1: Applications should be submitted online.
Stage 2: If a full application is invited, you will be asked to complete the full application form. The application form will require you to provide information additional to that provided in the preliminary application, particularly in relation to the details of the research project.
Stage 3: If you are shortlisted for interview, you will be asked to provide further information on your application, before the interview itself. At this stage, you will need to provide the detailed costs and information on issues such as human participation, the use of biological samples, and the potential for the research to generate results with the potential for commercial exploitation.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : The preliminary application deadline is 30 October 2015 and the full application deadline is 11 January 2016.
‣ Note: This scheme will be closing. If you intend to apply for a Postdoctoral Research Training Fellowship for Clinicians, you will need to submit your preliminary application to the Trust by the last closing date of 30 October 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.