PhD Scholarships in Solar System Science at University of Göttingen in Germany , and applications are submitted till november 15 2016. The Solar System School calls for applications for astrophysics PhD positions in the field of Solar System Science once a year. In the regular recruitment cycle, applications for the following year may be submitted through the online portal from October 1 to November 15. The IMPRS, or Solar System School as it is known in short, covers all areas of Solar system science, an interdisciplinary research field that comprises space exploration and the planetary sciences as well as Solar physics, and selected topics in the areas of stellar astrophysics and extra-solar planetary systems. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): University of Göttingen | Germany
Level: PhD Degree
Field(s): Research-oriented doctoral program covering the physical aspects of Solar system science
Deadline: 15th November 2016.
Funded By: The International Max Planck Research School for Solar System Science.It is jointly run by the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) and the University of Göttingen.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): PhD Scholarships in Solar System is targeted for International Students.
‣ Award No: Ten IMPRS PhD scholarships and admit of the order of 15 PhD students in total per year.
‣ Scholarship Duration:Scholarship will be offered for three years.
‣ Scholarship covers: Successful applicants receive an attractive scholarship covering relocation support, housing and living expenses and are exempt from tuition fees. The program includes an inspiring curriculum of scientific lectures and seminars as well as advanced training workshops and provides travel funds to attend international conferences
The International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) for Solar System Science at the University of Göttingen is a PhD programme at the interface of geo- and astrophysics. The IMPRS, or Solar System School as it is known in short, covers all areas of Solar system science, an interdisciplinary research field that comprises space exploration and the planetary sciences as well as Solar physics, and selected topics in the areas of stellar astrophysics and extra-solar planetary systems. Open PhD positions are advertised once a year, and PhD students admitted into the School are fully funded for a period of three years. Doctoral candidates are exposed to a curriculum designed to encourage in-depth studies in planetary physics, physics of the Sun and stellar physics including helio- and asteroseismology with experienced academic teachers. During their doctoral thesis, students are immersed in the unique space research environment created by leading scientists in this key research area of the School's partner institutions on Göttingen Campus. Graduate students, alumni and faculty of the School form a professional network which is quite unparalleled in Solar system research.
To avail PhD Scholarships in Solar System, candidates must meet the following criteria:
‣ The Solar System School is open to students from all countries and offers an international three years PhD program in an exceptional research environment with state-of-the-art facilities on the Göttingen Research Campus.
‣ Applicants to the Solar System School should have a keen interest in Solar system science and a record of academic excellence.
‣ They must have, or must be about to obtain, a M.Sc. degree or equivalent in physics or a related field, including a written Master’s thesis (or a scientific publication), and must document a good command of the English language.
‣ Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
Scholarship Application Method
To apply, please use our web service. If you visit this website for the first time you have to register at our online system. Otherwise please login with your username and password
‣ Scholarship Application are due on 15th November 2016.
The timeline for recruitment and admission to the IMPRS programme for a start in 2017 will be as follows:
2016 Sep 1Call 2016 published
2016 Oct 1Online application opens
2016 Nov 15Application deadline
2016 Nov 20 Recommendation letters due
2017 Feb 13-17Interview week
2017 MayNotification of all applicants
2017 SepStart of new academic year
Note that a later (or earlier) individual starting date may be negotiable upon successful completion of the interview phase.
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website