PhD Position in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry are offered at Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences , University of Amsterdam in Netherlands. Full details:
Background about PhD Position in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry at University of Amsterdam.
‣ Cell division in bacteria is executed by a large protein complex that comprises more than ten different proteins.How this protein complex establishes cytokinesis is largely unknown. They have identified a new cell division protein, SepF, which is conserved in Gram-positive bacteria and cyanobacteria. This protein makes very large protein rings that bundle the tubulin-like protein FtsZ, the key bacterial cell division protein, into large tubular structures.
‣ We have now strong evidence that SepF also anchors FtsZ to the cell membrane.
‣ This PhD project will focus on the molecular mechanism of SepF in cell division with the ultimate goal to understand how bacterial cell division works.
‣ Since cell division is a promising target for novel antibiotics, this project will also support the development of future antimicrobial compounds, which is important considering the worrying rise in multi drug resistant pathogens.
School(Institutions/ Country): University of Amsterdam | Netherlands
Level: PhD Degree
Field(s): Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
Funded By: University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Deadline: April 15, 2013.
Beneficiaries( Target Group):PhD Position in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry at University of Amsterdam is open for applicants from Netherlands.
Benefits( Value/ Inclusions):
‣ No. of Awards: not specified.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The appointment will start on 1 September 2013 and will be on a temporary basis for a period of 4 years (initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years) and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis).
‣ Scholarship Covers: Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €2.062 in the first year to €2.664 in the last year.
To be eligible for PhD Position in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry at University of Amsterdam, candidates must meet the following criteria.
‣ The PhD candidate has a Master degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related discipline, and experience with bacterial cloning techniques.
‣ Experience with protein purification and enzyme assays is desirable.
Scholarship Application Method:
‣ Applications may only be submitted by electronic mail to application-science-at-uva.nl or by clicking ‘Apply Now’ below using the mail science-at-uva.nl.
‣ Scholarship Application due date: The last date to submit the form is April 15, 2013.
‣ It is important to read the application guideline, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website
You may also like