Onassis Foundation Fellowships Programme for Foreigners in Greece, and applications are submitted till the end of July 2016. Onassis Foundation is offering scholarship programmes for international students starting in October 1st, 2016. Scholarships are available to University Professors of all levels (PhD holders), postdoctoral researchers (PhD holders), artists, postgraduate students and PhD candidates. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Hosting Countries): | Greece
Level: PhD holders), postdoctoral researchers and PhD candidates.
Field(s): Humanities: Philology, Literature, Linguistics, History , Archaeology, Philosophy, Educational Studies, Psychology. Social Science (excluding Law): Political Sciences, Sociology, International and European Studies, Social Policy. Economic Science: Maritime Studies, Finance, and Public Finance, Arts: Art History, Visual Arts, Music, Dance, Theater, Photography, Film Studies and New Media Cultural administration, (only Theoretic Studies, artists are not included).
Deadline: the end of July 2016.
Funded By: Onassis Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Onassis Foundation Fellowships Programme is targeted for International students can apply for these Onassis scholarships. Cypriot citizens are also eligible to apply for category A grants only, provided they are permanently residing and working outside Greece.
‣ Award No: The number of scholarships awarded by the Foundation to foreigners varies from year to year (20 scholarships for category A and 10 for Category
‣ Scholarship Duration: A research grant will be available for three  months during the academic year October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2017 and Category C educational scholarship will be from five  up to ten  months during the academic year October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2017.
A research grant: 1. A round trip air-ticket (economy class) from and
to the country and place where the grantee is permanently living, for
the grantee only, for the beginning of the scholarship and upon
definite departure from Greece that amount a) up to Three
Hundred Euros (€300.-) for a European country ??? b) up to One
Thousand Euros ( €1,000.-) for a transatlantic trip or travel to
and from countries of Asia and Africa. Fellowship recipients will be
solely responsible for the purchase of their tickets. 2. A monthly
allowance of One Thousand Five Hundred Euros (€ 1.500) for
subsistence, accommodation and all other expenses. NOTE: The grant
does not cover the period from July 15 to August 31. The Foundation
wishes to advise the applicants that it will not extend any facility
other than the described above under any circumstances whatsoever. No
allowance or air ticket is provided to the grantee’s spouse or
Category C Educational Scholarship: 1. A round trip air-ticket (economy class) for the scholarship recipient only for the beginning of the scholarship and upon definite departure from Greece 2. A monthly allowance of Eight Hundred Fifty Euros (€ 850.-) for subsistence, accommodation and all other expenses.
NOTE: The scholarship does not cover the month of August. The Foundation wishes to advise the applicants that it will not extend any facility other than the described above under any circumstances. No allowance or air ticket is provided to the grantee’s spouse or dependents.
‣ In 1995 the Foundation established an annual programme of grants and scholarships for research, study and artistic endeavour within Greece.
‣ The educational programme is intended exclusively for non-Greeks: members of national academies, university professors of all levels, PhD holders, post-doctorate researchers, post-graduate students and doctoral candidates, artists, and teachers of Greek language, literature, history and culture in both primary and secondary education.
‣ Exceptionally and on a case-by-case basis, the programme may accept Greeks of the Diaspora, second generation Greeks, and Greeks who permanently reside abroad and have been studying or have been employed in foreign Universities for over 10 or 15 years, depending on the type of scholarship.
‣ The Foundation announces the twenty-first (22nd) annual Programme of research grants and educational scholarships starting on October 1st, 2016 which is addressed to non -Greeks, University Professors of all levels (Ph.D. holders), Postdoctoral Researchers (Ph.D. holders) and Ph.D. Candidates.
Persons of non Greek descent.
b) Cypriot citizens are also eligible to apply for category A grants only, provided they are permanently residing and working outside Greece.
c) Persons of Greek descent (second generation and on) are also eligible to apply for a grant or scholarship, provided they are permanently residing and working abroad or currently studying in foreign Universities.
d) Category A also apply to Scholars of Greek descent or citizenship provided they have a professional academic career of at least ten (10) years in a University or Research Institute abroad.
e) The above mentioned clarification (d) also applies to post-graduate students of Greek descent or citizenship, who pursue post-graduate studies outside of Greece (category C), have obtained a degree outside of Greece and are permanently residing outside of Greece for more than fifteen (15) years.
-Category A – if you are a Full Professor, you have to be over 35. If you are Associate Professor, you have to be over 30. There are no age limits for all other candidates for this grant. Category C – all candidates have to be under 40.
Selection Criteria for Onassis Foundation Fellowships Programme
‣ The decision to authorize each application for a grant or scholarship is left to the absolute discretion of the Board of Directors of the Foundation. The Board takes into account the recommendations of the Foundation’s Scientific Committee, which is selected by the Board, but is not bound by these recommendations.
‣ Furthermore, the Board of Directors can either approve or reject an application without communicating the rationale. All meetings of the Board and all recommendations of the Committee are confidential and under no circumstances will they be communicated to the applicants. The submission of an application equals acceptance of all the conditions of the Announcement.
Notification of Onassis Foundation Fellowships Programme results
‣ Applicants will be informed of the results via e-mail by the end of July 2016.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ The application form can be submitted online, sent by post or submitted in person.
Required documents for the submission of applications in category A:
‣ A copy of your passport
‣ One (1) passport size photograph
‣ A letter from the candidate including the following information and stated in the following order:
a) The title, purpose and specific object of the research that the grantee intends to conduct in Greece. Additionally, the grantee must mention why it is deemed necessary for him/her to carry out research in Greece
b) Description of the proposed lessons/seminars as part of the teaching activities (see Special terms/Conditions, paragraphs 6 (a) & (b) Description of the proposed lessons/seminars as part of the teaching activities (see Special terms/Conditions, paragraphs 6 (a) & (b)
c) Any research in Greece already completed or in which candidates are currently involved
d)Any previous collaboration with Universities or Institutions in Greece
e) Names and contact details of the members of the Greek academic community, Greek Universities, Institutions or Research Centre the candidate intends to collaborate with
f) The proposed period and place(s) of research in Greece.
g) Knowledge of Modern or Ancient Greek.
Required documents for the submission of applications in category C:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 26th of February 2016.
and guidelines can be download from the official website
It is important to
read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link
found below) for detailed information on how to apply
2016, 2017 , FREE Scholarships, international , Fellowships