Nippon Foundation offers Fellowships for Asian Public Intellectuals. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): The project must be carried out in one or more of the API Participating Countries, but NOT in your native country or country of residence. The current Participating Countries are: Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Thailand.
* You will need to find a Host Institution in the country where you carry out the project.
Level: Fellowship to undertake project
Field(s): Areas of study in Nippon Foundation fellowship enlisted are:
Deadline: 31 Aug 2013 (annual) ; The application period is from 1 July 2013 up to 31 August 2013.
Funded By:The Nippon Foundation
Beneficiaries( Target Group): Nippon Foundation fellowship is open for Asian Public Intellectuals from Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Thailand. Public Intellectuals are those academics, researchers, media professionals, artists, creative writers, NGO activists, social workers, public servants and others with moral authority who are committed to working for the betterment of society by applying their professional knowledge, wisdom and experience.
‣Award No: the number of fellowships awarded each year ranges from 25-28, roughly 4-6 per participating country(but see their main website for the details).
‣ Scholarship Duration : one month to one year
‣ Scholarship Covers:
‣ The Nippon Foundation Fellowships for Asian Public Intellectuals (API Fellowships Program) is designed to stimulate the creation of a pool of such intellectuals in the region.
‣ They aim to promote mutual learning among Asian public intellectuals and to contribute to the growth of public spaces in which effective responses to regional needs can be generated. ‣ The goals of the fellowship are:
‣ The project may take several forms: research paper; film; series of journalistic articles; data gathering; building networks; work of art, etc., but must fulfill three conditions: it must NOT be part of your regular employment; it must contribute to the goals of the API Fellowships Program, and fit with the API themes; and it must have tangible output (research paper, film, photo essay, etc.).
‣ The API Fellowships Program offers two (2) categories of Fellowships: API Senior Fellowships and API Fellowships. The categorization is based essentially on the age of the applicant.
‣ Anyone involved in the production and exchange of knowledge or ideas in line with the goals of API Fellowships Program.
‣ This includes academics, researchers, media professionals, artists, writers, NGO workers, social workers, public servants and others who work for the betterment of society.
General eligibility requirements for the Nippon Foundation Fellowships:
‣ Applicants must hold the nationality or proper resident status in one of the five (5) Participating Countries and reside in the country at the time of application;
‣ Applicants must attend an interview at a designated date and place;
‣ The proposed project by the applicant must take place and should be completed within the period of July 1, 2012 to July 31, 2013 (Note: The fellowship period must be continuous.);
‣ Applicants must have a basic knowledge of English or a language (s) spoken in the country(ies) where the proposed research and/or activities are conducted; and
‣ Applicants must be based in the region/country and will continue to be so in the future.
Specific eligibility requirements for API Senior Fellowships:
‣ Be 40 years of age or more as of August 31, 2011 (exceptions may be made);
‣ Have the ability and experience to conduct research projects and/or professional activities in the Participating Countries other than the applicant’s native country or country of residence;
‣ Undertake the proposed research projects and/or professional activities in up to four (4) of the Participating Countries, but in a country(ies) other than the applicant’s native country or country of residence;
‣ Undertake the proposed research projects and/or professional activities for a continuous period of between one (1) and twelve (12) months (Note: The fellowship period must be continuous.); and
‣ Have the ability, influence, and means to disseminate the results of their research projects and/or professional activities.
Specific eligibility requirements for The Nippon Foundation Fellowships:
‣ Be under the age of 40 as of August 31, 2011 (exceptions may be made);
‣ Have the ability and desire to engage in research projects and/or professional activities in the Participating Countries other than the applicant’s native or country of residence;
‣ Have a strong potential to contribute to their field in the future; Undertake the proposed research projects and/or professional activities for a consecutive period of between four (4) and twelve (12) months (Note: The fellowship period must be continuous.); and
‣ Undertake the proposed research projects and/or professional activities in up to two (2) of the Participating Countries, but in a country(ies) other than the applicant’s native country or country of residence.
Scholarship Application Method
Where do I apply?
‣ Apply to the Partner Institution in your native country or country of residence as the following :
The Nippon Foundation Fellowship Application materials must consist of the following:
1. Application Form and Data sheet
(Please download the set of Application Form and Datasheet by clicking your native country or country of residence as listed in Where do I apply? and your information must be type-written)
2. A Cover Letter
Your Cover Letter with a brief introduction of yourself and details as to why you are applying for the API Fellowships Program.
3. A Full Curriculum Vitae
Your Curriculum Vitae type-written in English. It should maximum of three pages in length and should contain details on your education, professional career, publications, and achievements.
4. A Project Proposal
Your Project Proposal addressing the following questions (type-written in maximum of five pages in length):
(1) Why are you applying for the API Fellowships Program?
(2) Who are "public intellectuals" in your definition?
(3) What is your project? Please answer in detail.
(4) Why do you want to carry out this project?
(5) Why are you the right person to do this project? (Mention relevant previous experience.)
(6) How are you going to do it? (Methodology)
(7) What will the outputs of your project be (Research paper, video, performance, etc.) and how will you disseminate them?
(8) How will your project contribute to the goals of API?
(9) What are your past achievements and future plans as a public intellectual (organization, advocacy, publications, etc.)? How will this Fellowship help you?
5. Two Reference Letters
Two reference letters with the original signatures of the referees. If these are not in English, you must provide an English translation. These letters should be addressed to the API Fellowships Program, and should have been written within three months before the deadline for submission.
‣ Scholarship Applications due date: The application period is from 1 July 2013 up to 31 August 2013.
‣ It is important to visit this link for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship. Forms can be downloaded from the official website.
You may also like
Scholarship Tags: 2013, Nippon, Foundation, Fellowships, API