New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships (Scholars Awards ) are offered for students of Bruneil, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam . Applications for 2013 is now open. Full details:
Funded By: New Zealand Aid Programme, the New Zealand Government’s international development programme
School(Institutions/ Country): five New Zealand institutions: Auckland University of Technology, University of Auckland, Massey University, Victoria University of Wellington, and University of Waikato | New Zealand
Level: PhD Degree (Brunei and Singapore) and Postgraduate Degree( Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, and Myanma)
Field(s): New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships applicants from all fields are encouraged to apply. However, candidates will be given preference whose work experience or proposed field of study relates to the following sectors:
Deadline: New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships Application timelines can vary depending on the country.
Beneficiaries( Target Group): New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships( Scholars Awards) are open for students of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam.
Benefits( Value/ Inclusions):
‣ No. of Awards:
‣ Scholarship Covers:
‣ The New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships( Scholars Awards) recognise New Zealand’s close cultural, economic, and geographic ties with Southeast Asia.
‣ They seek to empower individuals with the knowledge, skills and qualifications to contribute to the economic, social, and political development of their region.
‣ Awards for students from Myanmar, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam are managed by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
‣ Awards for Brunei and Singapore are managed by the awarding institution, Victoria University of Wellington.
‣ General eligibility Criteria: The New Zealand-ASEAN Scholars Awards are open to candidates from the public and private sector including civil society, university lecturers, development-focused organisations and charitable foundations.
Candidates must meet the following criteria to avail New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships( Scholars Awards)
‣ be a citizen of one of the eligible countries and have resided in that country for at least two years at the time of application
‣ not have citizenship/permanent residence status for New Zealand or Australia
‣ not be married or engaged to be married to a person who holds New Zealand or Australian citizenship or permanent residence status
‣ not hold or have held a New Zealand Government or Australian Government scholarship in the preceding 24 months at the time of application
‣ not be seeking support for a degree programme already commenced
‣ not hold a qualification at a similar level or in a similar field of study at similar level (this means holders of bachelor degrees should apply for Masters or PhD and Masters graduates should apply for PhD study)
‣ be available to take up the scholarships in the calendar year for which the scholarship is offered -hold a bachelor degree of strong academic merit that is relevant to the proposed post graduate qualification
‣ have a minimum IELTS (academic) results of 5.5 overall, with no band less than 5.0 and results to be no older than 24 months at time of application
‣ satisfy the admission requirements of the New Zealand institution in which the degree programme is to be undertaken, including that institution’s English language criteria.
‣ Preference will be given to applicants whose study focuses on the priority sectors identified by each country.
‣ Preference will also be given to applicants under 40 years of age.
English Language Requirements for New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships( Scholars Awards):
Terms and conditions: All applicants who are offered a New Zealand-ASEAN Scholars Awards will be required to sign a contract with the New Zealand Government declaring they will comply with the terms and conditions of the scholarship. All awardees are required to return to their home country for a minimum period of two years following completion of their scholarship in order to contribute to their country’s economic and social development.
Eligibility Criteria for New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships:
‣ Lao PDR:
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Brunei and Singapore: The applications and selection process is managed directly by Victoria University. Please click here for details on how to apply.
‣ Cambodia: Applicants must submit their completed applications to IDP Cambodia.
‣ Indonesia: Applications to be submitted to PTAN.
‣ Lao PDR: Applicants must submit by hand in an A4 envelope.
‣ Myanmar: On obtaining an unconditional offer of place from a New Zealand institution, applicants should then submit the to the New Zealand Embassy, Bangkok:
‣ Malaysia: Applicants should submit two NZ ASEAN Scholarships applications completed in English (one original and one copy) to the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education.
‣ The New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships applications should be accompanied by the letter of offer of a place from the university.
‣ PhD candidates must also include evidence of correspondence with a potential supervisor.
‣ Philippines: Anyone applying for a New Zealand ASEAN Scholars award must identify their desired course of study and provide evidence of an unconditional offer of a place at a participating tertiary institution in New Zealand.
‣New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships( Scholars Awards) applicants should submit an original and a copy of the application form completed in English, with a copy of the letter of offer from a participating tertiary institution in New Zealand, directly to the New Zealand Embassy in Manila.
‣ PhD students must also include evidence of correspondence with a potential supervisor.
‣ Thailand: Applicants should apply for MTESOL and obtain an unconditional offer of study from one of the five eligible New Zealand Institutions: Auckland University of Technology, University of Auckland, Massey University, Victoria University of Wellington, and University of Waikato | New Zealand.
‣ On obtaining an unconditional offer of place from a New Zealand institution, applicants should then submit the following to the Ministry of Education of Thailand.
‣ Two copies of the NZAS scholarship application form along with required documents.
‣ New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships Applicants are also requested to send an electronic copy of the application pack to the New Zealand Embassy Bangkok.
‣ A copy of the unconditional offer of study from one of the five New Zealand institutions.
‣ The Ministry of Education of Thailand will recommend shortlisted candidates to the New Zealand Embassy, Bangkok. Successful candidates will be contacted by the New Zealand Embassy.
‣ Vietnam: The New Zealand ASEAN Scholars awards applicants submit two applications completed in English (one original and one copy), including a copy of the letter of offer from a tertiary institution in New Zealand, directly to the New Zealand Embassy in Hanoi.
‣ PhD students must also include evidence of correspondence with a potential supervisor. Applicants are encouraged to download the application form at www.nzembassy.com/viet-nam.
‣ Application forms are also available from the New Zealand Embassy in Ha Noi.
‣ Scholarship Application Deadline: Application timelines can vary depending on the country. Brunei and Singapore: The closing date for applications is 5:00pm on 1 July in each of the years available.
‣ Indonesia: 22 April 2013 – Closing date for applications to be submitted to PTAN (PT Austraining Nusantara (PTAN), the managing service contractor for New Zealand-ASEAN Scholars Awards in Indonesia). Lao PDR: Applications close on 3 May 2013.
‣ Philippines: 15 July 2013 Deadline for applications (The embassy will not accept late and incomplete applications).
‣ Vietnam: Applications from Vietnam close on 1st July 2013 for study beginning in early 2014
‣ Thailand: The deadline vary from university to university. 7 September – Recommendation on shortlisted candidates received from Ministry of Education of Thailand.
‣ Download the New Zealand-ASEAN Scholar Awards(New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships) application form
‣ It is important to read the application guideline, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website
You may also like