MIF Research Fellowship Program for International Researchers in Japan, and applications are submitted till August 31, 2016. Applications are invited for MIF fellowships to carry out research at selected host institutions in Japan. Approx 20 fellowships are awarded for applicants of non-Japanese nationality who hold a PhD (Doctorate) degree. Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority. Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project between 3 months to 6 months and the commencing month and ending month between April 2017 to March 2018. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Level: Fellowships are available to carry out research at selected host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry).
Field(s): Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
Deadline: August 31, 2016
Funded By: The Matsumae International Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): MIF Research Fellowship is targeted for Non-Japanese citizens
‣ Award No: MIF plans to invite about 20 persons under the 2016 Research Fellowship Program.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 months to 6 months, and the commencing month and ending month between April 2017 to March 2018. (e.g. 5 months from June 2016 to October 2017).
‣ Scholarship covers: The following financial support is provided to successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available. Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items. Stipend for research and stay: ¥200,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc. -Insurance: Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment. Air transportation: An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by the Foundation for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than the Foundation. Lump sum on arrival: ¥100,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
‣ The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi Matsumae’s call.
‣ While many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.
‣ Successful MIF Research Fellowship applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents. 1. Applicants must hold a PhD (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by the Matsumae International Foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications. 2. Applicants must be under 49 years old at the time of application. 3. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan. 4. Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present. 5. Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by the Foundation. 6. Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
Selection Criteria for MIF Research Fellowship
‣ Applications are examined by the Screening Committee of the Foundation on the basis of academic value and the degree of perfection of the research projects.
‣ The results will be sent directly to the applicants after the deadline of application, by the end of December, 2016.
‣ MIF will send a Grant Letter to successful applicants.
‣ Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from the Foundation. To obtain the announcement, write to MIF with name and address by postal mail, or by E-mail.
‣ Or, download the announcement from the webpage of the Foundation and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
‣ The Foundation cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
‣ Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country.
‣ Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan. MIF never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on August 31, 2016.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.