Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, and applications are submmitted till 26 September 2016. Microsoft Research is offering up to 20 PhD Scholarship in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.The proposed research must be carried out at Microsoft Research in Cambridge. Only PhD supervisors should apply. If their project is selected, the supervisor has until 31 March 2018 to find the best possible student for the project; otherwise, the PhD Agreement will be terminated automatically. Each Microsoft scholarship consists of an annual bursary up to a maximum of three years. The amount of the scholarship is the maximum amount Microsoft Research pays to the institution. In addition, every Scholar receives a fixed hardware allowance and conference allowance. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
Level: PhD program
Field(s): The proposed research must be closely related to the following research topics: Computational Science; Computer-Mediated Living Constraint Reasoning; Machine Learning and Perception;Online Services and Advertising; Programming Principles and Tools, Cambridge Systems and Networking.
Deadline: 26 September 2016. (Application will open on 1 September.)
Funded By: Microsoft Research
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship is targeted for applications from institutions in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa can apply for these scholarships.
‣ No. of awards: There are total 20 scholarships available.
‣ Scholarship Tenure : Scholarships are awarded for the maximum of three years.
‣Value of Scholarship : Each Microsoft scholarship consists of an annual bursary up to a maximum of three years. The monetary value of the award varies by country to reflect local differences in costs and overheads. Payment is made directly to the institution. The amount of the scholarship is the maximum amount Microsoft Research pays to the institution. In addition, every Scholar receives a fixed hardware allowance and conference allowance.
‣ The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Program in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students from more than 18 countries and 51 institutions.
year, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA are invited
to submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with
Microsoft Research Cambridge.
are then peer reviewed and approximately 20 projects are selected for
funding. PhD students are appointed to the selected projects and
begin their research in the following academic year under the
supervision of their academic supervisor, with co-supervision from a
researcher at Microsoft Research Cambridge.
Selection criteria for Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship
A two-stage evaluation process will be implemented for all eligible applications.
‣ Stage 1: A panel of Microsoft researchers determines whether an application meets the basic selection criteria and goes through to stage 2. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified in October 2014, but will not receive detailed feedback.
‣ Stage 2: Applications are sent for comprehensive review to at least three Microsoft internal or external reviewers. Ranking depends on review feedback. Other factors, such as relevance to Microsoft research topics, are taken into account for the selection of approximately 20 applications. Detailed feedback will be given to all stage 2 proposals.
Decisions are made solely at the discretion of Microsoft Research and all decisions are final.
The date of notification are as follows:
Stage 1 ~ By the end of October 2016
Stage 2 ~ By the end of December 2016
For successful applicants:
PhD Agreements sent to Institutes by:31st January 2017
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Application should be filled online.
‣ A link to the online application form will be available on 1 September 2015.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date :
Online submission tool open:1st September 2016
Application deadline:26th September 2016
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.