Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship in China, and applications are submitted till June 25, 2016. Applications are invited for Microsoft Research Asia Fellowships from junior PhD students to pursue their research interests while taking tangible and worthwhile steps toward building a successful career. This program is open to students from invited universities with eligible computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, information science, or automation departments. Only second-year students who have never attended any master’s program and who have enrolled in an eligible combined master’s and PhD program during or after 2013 are eligible to apply for the fellowship. The internship that comes with the fellowship offers a unique opportunity for young researchers to gain hands-on research experience in China. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | China (Beijing)
Level: Fellowship ( for junior PhD students to pursue their research interests)
Field(s): Major falls within the broad scope of computer science, electronic engineering, information science, or applied mathematics. Program is open to research areas outside core computer science, but they expect to see a strong computing component in an applicant’s proposed research. Areas of interest: Artificial intelligence, Hardware computing, Human computer interaction, Internet graphics, Internet media, Knowledge mining, Machine learning, Media computing, Mobile and sensing systems, Multimedia search and mining, Natural language computing, Software analytics, Speech, System algorithms, Systems, Theory, Visual computing, Web search and data management, Wireless and networking.
Deadline: June 25, 2016
Funded By: Microsoft Research
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship is targeted for applicants from Asia-Pacific region
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship covers: The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Program offers some of the industry’s most competitive incentives and rewards, including:
‣ Now with even greater rewards and incentives, the Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Program offers even more competitive benefits for the outstanding support and encouragement of your research opportunities and interests.
‣ The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowships Program identifies the next generation of research leaders with a unique program that offers a combination of mentorship, research, networking, and academic opportunities to promising young candidates. Since its inception in 1999, 373 outstanding PhD students have been awarded the Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship honor.
Note: Special cases may be considered at the discretion of the review committee
‣ The candidate must have no more than three years of research experience before having begun their the PhD degree
‣ The candidate must be specializing in one of the following fields: computer science, electronic engineering, information science, or applied mathematics
‣ The candidate must be nominated by an invited institution and recommended by a PhD supervisor and department head. Direct applications will not be accepted from individuals or universities without invitation from Microsoft Research Asia
‣ Candidates must be commended by their supervisor as having outstanding potential as a researcher
‣ Previous Microsoft Research Asia Fellows are ineligible
‣ A maximum of two applicants per eligible university will be accepted
‣ Multiple applicants from one supervisor will not be considered for acceptance.
Selection Criteria for Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship
‣ Enrollment is highly competitive and selective, reflecting the high criteria for participation.
‣ All applications from invited institutions and received by Microsoft Research Asia will be reviewed by the Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Committee, which is composed of senior lab researchers and managers.
‣ A competitive review, based upon the following criteria, determines the Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship award recipients:
Notification for Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship
‣ Selected applicants will receive notification of their acceptance status by no later than October 15, 2016. Due to the volume of submissions, Microsoft Research Asia cannot provide individual feedback on applications that do not result in fellowship awards
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Complete the application form and submit it to your academic institution.
‣ The institution must submit the candidate’s completed application form by email
‣ Submit the following via the online submission website by June 25, 2016
Application materials shall include::
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on June 25, 2016
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.