Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders in USA , and applications are submitted till Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. GMT Applications are invited for Mandela-Washington Fellowship available for young African leaders. Applicants must be between the ages of 25 and 35 at the time of application submission, although exceptional applicants younger than 25 will be considered. The Fellowship is available for six weeks of intensive executive leadership training, networking, and skills building, followed by a Presidential Summit in Washington, D.C. Up to 100 Fellows will remain in the United States for an additional six to eight weeks after their academic institute and Summit to participate in internships in the public, private and non-profit sectors with organizations throughout the United States. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Fellowships are available for academic coursework and leadership training.
Field(s): skills development in one of three areas: Business and Entrepreneurship, Civic Leadership, or Public Management.
Deadline: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. GMT
Funded By: The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is a program of the U.S. government and is supported in its implementation by IREX.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Mandela Washington Fellowship is targeted for Citizens of Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for this Mandela Washington Fellowship.
‣ Award No: From June 16 to June 30, 2017, the Mandela Washington Fellowship will host up to 1,000 young African leaders.
‣ Scholarship Duration: From June 16 to June 30, 2017
‣ Scholarship covers: There is no fee to apply to the Mandela Washington Fellowship. If you are selected for the Fellowship, the U.S. government will cover all participant costs. Financial provisions provided by the U.S. Government will include: -J-1 visa support; -Round-trip travel from fellow’s home city to the U.S. and other required travel; -Customized academic and leadership institute; -Concluding Presidential Summit in Washington, DC; -Accident and sickness benefit plan; -Housing and meals during the program; and -A potential six to eight-week internship at the conclusion of the academic and leadership institute (optional, and competitive for approximately 100 slots). Please note that Fellows will be housed in university dorms or similar accommodations. Fellows may be expected to share a bedroom and bathroom with another fellow of the same gender. Most meals will be provided at campus cafeterias or restaurants, though participants may have access to a kitchen to cook some meals on their own. It is important that applicants are aware of these arrangements and that they are comfortable with such accommodations. To the extent possible, care will be taken to ensure that any special requirements regarding diet, daily worship, housing, and medical care are satisfied.
From June 16 to June 30, 2017, the Mandela Washington Fellowship will host up to 1,000 young African leaders. Fellows will travel to US university and college campuses for six-week Academic and Leadership Institutes in one of three tracks: Business and Entrepreneurship, Civic Leadership, or Public Management. It is anticipated that one Public Management Institute will focus on Energy Policy, in collaboration with Power Africa. Applicants for the Energy Institute need not be currently working in government or in another public management role to apply to this Institute.
For more details on the sector tracks, please review the application instructions. The intensive Institute model includes linkages between academic sessions, site visits, professional networking opportunities, community service, and cultural activities to maximize learning and cultural exchange.
The Institutes will culminate in a Summit in Washington, DC from July 31 to August 2, 2017. Additionally, up to 100 Fellows will take part in a six-week, US-based Professional Development Experience with US organizations from August 3 to September 15, 2017. The US Government and its partners have also created unique follow-on opportunities for Fellows to put their new skills to practical use in leading organizations and communities after they return to their home countries.
‣ Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
‣ The Mandela Washington Fellowship is open to young African leaders who meet the following criteria:
Selection Criteria for Mandela Washington Fellowship
‣ The Mandela Washington Fellowship is conducted as a merit-based open competition. Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications (not in order of importance):
‣ Applicants are notified of their status in April 2017.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants are required to apply via online.
Please visit yali.state.gov/washington-fellowship/apply to read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and for more information on how to apply. You can also get updates via social media at Facebook.com/MandelaWashingtonFellowship and Twitter.com/WashFellowship. For additional questions about the Mandela Washington Fellowship not answered by the FAQs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is a program of the US government and supported in its implementation by IREX.
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Date: Applications for the 2017 Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders are being accepted now through Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. GMT.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.