Mandela Rhodes Scholarship programme is offered for young Africans to get the opportunity of studies in their chosen courses offered by South African universities or tertiary institutions at Honours or Master degree level. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): South African universities or tertiary institutions | South Africa
Level: Master Degree
Field(s): the courses offered by South African universities or tertiary institutions at Honours or Master degree level.
Funded By: The Mandela Rhodes Foundation
Deadline: May 30, 2013.
Beneficiaries( Target Group): Mandela Rhodes Scholarship
is Open for students of Africa (Algeria, Angola, Benin,Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo-Brazzaville, Congo-Kinshasa, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar,
Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, São Tomé and Príncipe, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe).
Benefits( Value/ Inclusions):
‣ No. of Awards: Five candidates will be shortlisted to submit an essay and interview.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The scholarship provides for full funding for up to a maximum of 2 years of postgraduate study.
‣ Scholarship Covers: The Scholarship will cover tuition fees, accommodation and meals. In addition, a book allowance will be allocated and in some instances, a travel allowance can also be applied for.
‣ The Mandela Rhodes Foundation has established a Scholarship programme that offers educational opportunities to young Africans with scholastic, intellectual and leadership potential to study at suitable tertiary institutions and to create a network of principled future leaders to advance themselves and their countries.
‣ The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship aim to give expression to the legacy of academic excellence, leadership, education, reconciliation and entrepreneurship.
‣ Candidates will be considered by the Postgraduate Studies Funding Committee of the University of Cape Town and a short-list of a maximum of five candidates will be forwarded to the Mandela Rhodes Foundation (MRF).
‣ The short listed candidates will be contacted by the (MRF) and will be required to submit an essay on a topic provided to them.
‣ These candidates will then attend an interview with the panel of selectors in Cape Town in October. All short listed candidates will be informed shortly thereafter, by the Mandela Rhodes Foundation, as to the status of their application.
‣ Eligible candidates are required to submit the completed application form along with all the required supporting documentation.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to avail Mandela Rhodes Scholarship.
‣ Application is open to citizens of all African countries who are between the ages of 19 and 30 years.
‣ The Scholarships are intended to support individuals who will register for postgraduate studies at a South African university or tertiary institution (Honours and Masters degrees only).
‣ Selection will be based on essay writing and interview, and the final 5 candidates will be selected for the scholarship.
Scholarship Application Method:
‣ Apply: Application should be sent via post.
‣ Suitable candidates are required to: Complete the application form which is available as part of the application package, from the Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office (PGC&FO) or download an electronic copy .
‣ Contact between three and five referees who would be willing to write reference letters for you. A template for the reference letter is available with the application form from the PGC&FO or from the above URL. Please ensure that no less than three of your letters of reference are from academics who have taught you at university.
‣ The following documentation MUST be included with your application:
‣ Scholarship Application due date: May 30, 2013.
‣ After an interview with the panel of selectors in Cape Town in October all short listed candidates will be informed shortly thereafter.
‣ NOTE: Only candidates who will register at the University of Cape Town in 2014 may apply via the UCT Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office. Candidates who will register at any other institution must contact the Mandela Rhodes Foundation directly.
‣ It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
You may also like