Long Family Foundation in collaboration with the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy is offering conservation research scholarship to a qualified undergraduate student for conducting research under the direction of the Conservancy within the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: PhD Degree
Field(s): These scholarships will be awarded for conducting research under the direction of the Conservancy to investigate specific habitat needs of coastal cactus wrens (Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus). Research priorities in 2013 include identifying and quantifying cactus wren habitat use on the preserve; quantifying cactus wren foraging habits and determining the optimal survey methodology for a coastal cactus wren monitoring.
Deadline: September 30, 2013.
Funded By: The Long Family Foundation and Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): L o n g Family Foundation Conservation Research Scholarship is targeted for Applicants of USA.
‣ Award No: Two scholarships are offered.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships are offered for a period of six months i.e. October 2013-March 2014.
‣ Scholarship covers: The Long Family Foundation is offering $1500 Conservation Research Scholarships. Initially, $300 of the scholarships will directed toward the purchase of binoculars, then the scholarships will be paid in two installments: $600 at the start of the research project, and $600 at the midpoint of the project.
‣ The Long Family Foundation in collaboration the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy wishes to inspire young individuals to contribute to environmental conservation through scholarly research related to the priorities of the Conservancy.
‣ With this mission in mind, we are awarding two $1,500 scholarships for a qualified under-graduate student majoring in a biological science or environmental studies.
‣ Under the direction of the Conservancy, the recipients of the scholarship will conduct research within the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, assess and report on the findings, and present the findings at the Southern California Academy of Sciences’ 2014 Annual Meeting.
To avail Long Family Foundation Conservation Research Scholarship , the applicant must:
‣ Be a U.S. student enrolled in college or university and majoring in a natural science, such as biology, botany, ecology, environmental studies, or similar field.
‣ Be a local resident of South Bay and enrolled at: UCLA, California State University Long Beach; California State University Dominguez Hills; Los Angeles Harbor College; or El Camino College.
‣ Undertake the science research project during the scholarship period (October 2013-March 2014).
‣ Have a college GPA of 3.0 or better in his or her major field
‣ All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by October 15, 2013.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Please prepare a 3-5 paragraph discussion of the coastal cactus wren that includes your understanding of this bird, threats that it faces, and its general habitat requirements, including references.
‣ Note how you will benefit in achieving your academic goals as a result of conducting this research.
‣ Also, include a letter of recommendation from your academic supervisor or professor, a list of relevant courses, and your current resume.
‣ Submit the application form, financial need form, resume and a copy of your college transcript. Submissions may be sent by email to adalkey-at-pvplc.org or mailed.
‣ Scholarship Applications are Due By: All application materials must be submitted or postmarked no later than September 30, 2013.
You may also like