LAM Foundation Research Awards for International Applicants in USA. The LAM Foundation invites applications for research awards that include postdoctoral fellowships, established investigator awards and pilot project awards. Candidates for LAM Foundation awards must have at least two years of research experience, an MD, PhD, or equivalent degree, and perform their work in a laboratory with established expertise in smooth muscle biology, genetics of tuberous sclerosis or other LAM-related areas. Fellowships and established investigator awards provide a maximum of $50,000 per year, renewable for up to two additional years. Pilot awards of up to $25,000 are available for the initiation of innovative research projects. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Awards are available for undertaking research.
Field(s): Awards are available for Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) research.
Deadline: The application deadlines are as follows:
Funded By: The LAM Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): LAM Foundation Research Awards are targeted for candidates of all nationalities
‣ No. of awards: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Tenure : Fellowships and established investigator awards are renewable for up to two additional years.
‣Value of Scholarship : -LAM Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards: These awards provide a maximum of $50,000 per year, renewable for up to two additional years. More than 50 percent of the funds must be used for fellow salary support, and the maximum fellow salaries allowed are based on NIH guidelines for postdoctoral fellows. The balance of the funds may be used for fringe benefits, supplies or animal costs. No overhead or indirect costs are provided. Funds not spent are to be returned to The LAM Foundation at the end of each funding year.
-LAM Established Investigator Awards: Investigator awards provide a maximum of $50,000 per year, renewable for up to two additional years. The structure and terms of this award are identical to the LAM Fellowship Award except that with the LAM Established Award, faculty level investigators are eligible to receive funding for technician support and supplies.
-LAM Pilot Project Awards: Pilot awards of up to $25,000, are also available for the initiation of innovative research projects. Candidates must have at least two years of experience, an M.D., Ph.D. or equivalent degree, and perform the work in a laboratory with established expertise in smooth muscle biology or the genetics of tuberous sclerosis.
‣ The LAM Foundation is the largest funder of LAM research, outside of the National Institutes of Health. The Foundation has committed over $10 million to LAM research, the majority of which has supported 109 peer-reviewed grants and translational projects.
‣ LAM Foundation-funded scientists reported several major discoveries, including evidence that LAM is genetic, the identification of a LAM gene, and a molecular explanation for abnormal smooth muscle cell growth in LAM.
‣ This data led to the identification of a therapy for LAM called sirolimus, or rapamycin, with clinical trial results published in the April 2011 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM).
‣ Several additional molecular targets have been identified, many of which are addressable with drugs that are FDA-approved for other indications. LAM Foundation research awards include postdoctoral fellowships, established investigator awards and pilot project awards.
‣ Applications are welcomed from investigators of all nationalities, but candidates currently working in the USA must possess visas that allow for completion of the proposed project in the original laboratory. Mechanistic, hypothesis-driven approaches of all types are welcomed. Formalin-fixed LAM tissues, dispersed LAM lung cells, genetic probes and other reagents are available to all scientists.
Selection Criteria for LAM Foundation Research Awards
‣ Applications are reviewed by The LAM Foundation Scientific Board.
‣ Factors considered when selecting awardees are:
‣ Applicants will notify after December 15th.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Scientists who wish to apply for LAM Foundation funding must submit a Letter of Intent (LOI) by July 15th using online application system. The Proposed Research section of the online grant application for all LAM awards is limited to 10 pages, including references and figures.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : The application deadlines are as follows:
‣ Application forms (Online Application ) and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.