LabEx Postdoctoral Position for French and International Researchers, and applications are submitted till 26 April 2015. LabEx DynamiTe invites applications for a postdoctoral position to undertake a research project on the long-term dynamics of indigenous urban forms in the New World: a comparative approach. The candidate must have an in-depth knowledge of the issues involved in the archeology of urban agglomerations and a good knowledge of geographical concepts in the same field. The duration of this position is 1 year commencing between 01 September 2015 and 01 December 2015 (according to preference). Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | France
Level: postdoctoral researchers to undertake a research project
Field(s): Position is available to work on a project on “The long-term dynamics of indigenous urban forms in the New World: a comparative approach”.
Deadline: 26 April 2015.
Funded By: LabEx DynamiTe
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): LabEx Postdoctoral Position is targeted for French and international researchers
‣ Award No: One postdoctoral position is available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The duration of this position is 1 year.
‣ Scholarship covers: Net monthly salary is approximately EUR 2324.
‣ Diachrony is often woven into urban fabrics. Structures erected at different times and separated by several centuries can often be observed standing side by side within the same space in certain locations.
‣ When the ‘old’ is conserved, it is often (and sometimes repeatedly) adapted to fulfil the new requirements of a given moment in time and integrated each time into a more recent urban fabric.
‣ While the diachronic approach to the analysis of the urban fabric has been well developed for the cities of the ancient world, the research on the indigenous urban forms of the New World has generally been based on a synchronous perspective.
‣ This situation is due to both the history of research and the status of the available documentation (lack of written or historical cartographic sources relating to the relevant settlements, urbanization processes that follow specific modalities and limit vertical sedimentation processes, abandonment phenomena linked with episodes of ‘collapse’, the preponderance of surface analyses).
‣ Nevertheless, the data collected in several regions of the continent (Andes, Mesoamerica, the south west of the United States) currently provide a more solid documentary basis for tackling questions concerning the transformation and/or resilience of the known urban forms based on archaeology alone.
‣ The proposed research will involve the exploration of the long-term dynamics of the transformation of the urban fabric of these agglomerations, based on concrete examples from the aforementioned American cultural areas, while comparing them with models and concepts developed in the ancient world and, more recently, the Near East.
‣ The aim of the research will be to elucidate the logics inherent to the American urban systems studied using specific approaches while contrasting them with known models in the Near East.
‣ It will involve the identification of the points of convergence and divergence between the two and the discussion of their significance in functional, socio-political and also symbolic terms, in view of the fact that the spatial organization of the old cities of the New World was strongly influenced by cosmological representations.
‣ have an in-depth knowledge of the issues involved in the archaeology of urban agglomerations and a good knowledge of geographical concepts in the same field;
‣ be familiar with the tools used for spatial analysis and cartographic representation;
‣ be experienced in the acquisition and specialization of data originating from American terrains;
‣ have a good aptitude for collaborative research.
Notification for LabEx Postdoctoral Position
‣ The candidate(s) appointed following the assessment of the applications and interviews (which will take place during the week of 15 June 2015) will be informed of the results of the application process from 22 June 2015.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ The application must be submitted electronically by application form.
‣ It must demonstrate that the candidate fulfills the requirements indicated in the position profile (specified tasks and skills).
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : The deadline for the submission of applications is 26 April 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.