la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship at CNIO in Spain, and applications are submitted till February 28th, 2015. Applications are invited for “la Caixa”-Severo Ochoa International PhD Programme at the CNIO from graduate students who want to pursue an ambitious PhD project at the CNIO. Two fully funded four-year fellowships will be available in 2015. Fellowships are awarded for cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and applied cancer research within an international scientific environment. This call is open to applicants of all nationalities. Candidates should have an excellent academic track record, a solid knowledge of English and previous research experience. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Spain
Level:Fellowships are available for graduate students to pursue an ambitious PhD project at the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO).
Field(s): Fellowships are awarded for cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and applied cancer research within an international scientific environment.
Deadline: February 28th, 2015.
Funded By: Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence (Sponsored by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship is targeted for applicants of all nationalities can apply for these fellowships.
‣ Award No: Two fully funded four-year fellowships will be available in 2015
‣ Scholarship Duration: la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship is awarded for duration of four years.
‣ Scholarship covers: During the four years, the graduate students will receive an employment contract. For the first year, the gross annual salary will be 18,546.56 EUR (depending on marital status, children, etc., this salary corresponds to a net income of approximately 1,240 EUR/month)
‣ In 2008 “la Caixa” Foundation, a non-profit organization, launched a fellowship programme for outstanding young graduate students from all over the world who want to pursue an ambitious PhD project at the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO).
‣ Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness have joined efforts to link the “la Caixa”/CNIO international PhD programme to research centres distinguished as “Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence”.
‣ The CNIO has been awarded this distinction in 2011.The “la Caixa”-Severo Ochoa International PhD Programme at the CNIO offers cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and applied cancer research within an international scientific environment.
‣ Two fully funded four-year la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship will be available in 2015. Candidates should have an excellent academic track record, a solid knowledge of English and previous research experience.
‣ The initial gross annual salary will be increased progressively to 19,303.56 EUR during the second annuity, to 22,666.16 EUR for the third and 22,558.67 during the fourth. In addition to the salary, the students will receive a onetime annual allowance of 1,500 EUR for the first and second years and 1,700 EUR for the third and fourth years.
‣ In addition to the salary, the students will receive a onetime annual allowance of 1,500 EUR for the first and second years and 1,700 EUR for the third and fourth years.
‣ The la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship allowance covers miscellaneous expenses, such as university fees, expenses derived from international congress attendance and/or stays in international research centres.
‣ This employment contract will be prepared in accordance to Spanish laws and regulations, and employees will be included in the general Spanish Social Security System.
‣ All students will receive full health and occupational accident insurance coverage. Graduate students will also be entitled to social benefits such as holidays, subsidised meals and aids for studying Spanish or English.
‣ Students holding a university degree in biomedical sciences of a minimum of 300 ECTS within the European Higher Education Area or holding an official MSc or equivalent are eligible to apply to the Programme. Students expectingto be awarded with such qualification during the first half of 2015, are also eligible for this Call.
‣ This university degree would qualify students to start a PhD thesis in their home country before October 31, 2015. Non-European university degrees should be equivalent to a European diploma or degree.
‣ Students must have been awarded their degrees within two years of the relevant submission deadline.
‣ Applicants must have an excellent academic record and previous research experience during their undergraduate career.
‣ Candidates must have a solid working knowledge of English.
‣ Co-authorship of publications in MedLine-listed journals will be positively considered.
‣ Participation in international mobility programmes (including the CNIO Summer Training Programme) will be positively evaluated.
‣ Individuals may not have been working at the CNIO, at any time, for more than six months before the deadline of the Call (February 28, 2015).
‣ Candidates born before March 1, 1985, are not eligible to apply.
Selection Criteria for la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship
‣ Admission to the programme is on a competitive basis. All applications are evaluated solely on the basis of academic qualifications and scientific potential.
‣ Applications will be screened initially by the CNIO’s Education and Training Programmes to ensure that they are complete and eligible.
‣ All eligible applications will be reviewed by an ad hoc Selection Committee, formed by CNIO faculty members, which will evaluate candidates based on the following criteria:
‣ The Selection Committee will consider all the applications and select a number of candidates to visit the CNIO in Madrid where they will be interviewed by potential supervisors and discuss their research interests.
‣ Pre-selected candidates will be asked to choose at least five research groups, in order of preference, from a list of CNIO groups that are accepting applications in the Call.
‣ This list will be provided to the selected candidates before the interview.
Notification for la Caixa Severo Ochoa International PhD Fellowship
‣ Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place in May, 2015. Applicants should be prepared to travel to Spain at that time.
‣ Failure to participate in the interview process will disqualify the applicant for being considered for a position.
‣ Original documents, such as original academic certificates and diplomas, or certified translations, will have to be presented at this time.
‣ Shortlisted candidates will be selected by the Selection Committee on the basis of this personal interview.
‣ Candidates may be allocated to a research group different from
that selected by the applicant at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
‣ The final selection of candidates requires approval by the CNIO Direction. Applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s final decision by e-mail and the list of successful candidates will be published on the CNIO’s web site.
‣ Application must be submitted online. The application form must be completed in English.
‣ In the online application process you will be asked to enter your personal data, information regarding your education, your scientific interests and names/contact details of two referees.
‣ Moreover, you will be asked to upload all required documents, including your CV and academic certificates.
‣ It is advised you to prepare all texts (motivation letter, list of publications, etc.) in a text processor and paste them into the application form.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on February 28th, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.