Korean Government Scholarship Program for International Graduate Students , and The deadlines vary for each Korean embassy and university. Applications are invited for Korean Government Scholarship program from graduate students. The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenship. Up to 820 scholarships for master and PhD programs and up to 20 scholarships for research programs will be awarded at participating Universities in Korea as designated by NIIED. After the Korean language course, the scholarship period of degree course (2 years of master’s or 3 years of doctoral) cannot be extended beyond the designated duration. Research scholars are exempted from Korean Language Course. The selection process for applicants will proceed in three steps. Applicants must be selected by the institution he or she is applying through (a Korean embassy or a designated university). Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Participating Universities in Korea | Korea
Field(s): Applicants must choose their field of study from the listed programs in the University Information section provided by participating universities.
Deadline: the deadlines vary for each Korean embassy and university.
Funded By: Korean government
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Korean Government Scholarship is targeted for Students of United States, China, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Ecuador, Bulgaria, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Kazakhstan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Cambodia, Cote d’Ivoire, Egypt, Germany, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Panama, Serbia, Taiwan, UK, Tunisia, Uganda, Afghanistan, Argentina, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, El Salvador, Finland, France, Gabon, Georgia, Hungary, Iraq, Jordan, Nepal, Norway, Republic of South Africa, Rwanda, Senegal, Singapore, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Venezuela, Yemen, Zambia, Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Bolivia, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada (Quebec), Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Fiji, Gambia, Greece, Gutemala , Honduras, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Kuwait, Iran, Ireland, Kenya, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Netherlands, New Zealand, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, the Bahamas, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, Uruguay, Zimbabwe, Albania, Angola, Bahrain, Barbados, Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Guinea-Bissau, Greenland, Guyana, Haiti Lesotho, Madagascar, Mauritania, Mauritius, Montenegro, Namibia, Nicaragua, Niger, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Republic of Seychelles, Sao Tome Principe, Somalia, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Bhutan, Lithuania, Moldova, the Democratic, Belize, Maldives and Solomon Islands can apply for the Korean Government Scholarship Program.
‣ Award No: Korean government invites 820 international students from 162 countries who wish to pursue MA or PHD in Korea, and approximately 20 research scholars from 26 countries.
Scholarship Duration: The duration of Korean Government Scholarship Program for graduate students is as follows:
-Master’s (01.09.2015 ~ 31.08.2018): 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
-Doctoral (01.09.2015 ~ 31.08.2019): 1yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
-Research (01.09.2015~31.08.2016): 1 month ~ 1year
After the Korean language course, the scholarship period of degree course (2 years of master’s or 3 years of doctoral) cannot be extended beyond the designated duration. In the case that a scholar possesses a TOPIK Level that is higher than 5, he or she is exempted from the Korean language course; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2 years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral). In the case that a scholar possesses a TOPIK Level 5 or 6, he or she must be exempted from the Korean language course and must start his/her academic course of Master or Doctoral degree; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2 years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral).
‣ Scholarship covers: Korean Government Scholarship Program for graduate students will include:
-Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket. Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who already currently live in Korea for academic study or employment. The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided. Scholars from China and the Czech Republic will not be provided airfare by NIIED, but by their country of origin according to the mutual agreements.
-Monthly Allowance: 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
-Research Allowance: 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester.
-Relocation (Settlement) Allowance: 200,000 won
-Language Training Fee: Full coverage
-Tuitions: All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is paid by NIIED.
-Dissertation Printing Costs: 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
-Medical Insurance: 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
-Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
‣ The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students, with the aim of promoting international exchange in education, as well as mutual friendship amongst the participating countries.
‣ Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
‣ Therefore, Applicants and his/her parents who once had Korean citizenship must provide document regarding renunciation of Korean citizenship.
‣ Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time.
‣ Applicants must submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and when it’s orientation, an Official Medical Examination will be done by NIIED.
‣ A serious illness (For example, HIV, Drug, etc) will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship. The handicapped who satisfy the above are also eligible for the program.
‣ Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2016 (born after Sep. 1st, 1975).
‣ Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of August 31st, 2016.
‣ Research Program Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or above and a university rofessor in one of the eligible countries for research program.
‣ Korean Government Scholarship applicants who apply for the Master’s program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor’s degree.
‣ Korean Government Scholarship applicants who apply for the Doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
‣ Applicants who are expecting to obtain the relevant required degree or diploma by August 31st, 2015 must submit a certificate of degree or diploma expectation, and submit the official certificate of degree or diploma to NIIED by August 31st, 2015. (If not, disqualified for this program).
‣ Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
‣ If an applicant does not satisfy the above GPA criteria, he/she will be disqualified from applying to this program. If the transcript is not indicated in grades/marks/scores format, or is difficult to convert into percentages, attachment of official explanation from the attended institution is required.
‣ Applicants who have Korean proficiency or English proficiency may be given preference.
‣ Applicants who apply for natural science and technology program may be given preference.
-Applicants who are university professors currently in the developing countries may be given preference.
Selection Criteria for Korean Government Scholarship
‣ The scholarships will be awarded on the basis of all documents including transcript, self-introduction, study plan, certificates of language proficiency (Korean and English), recommendations, published papers and awards, etc.
Selection Procedure for Korean Government Scholarship
‣ The selection process for applicants will proceed in three steps.
‣ Firstly, applicants must be selected by the institution he or she is applying through (a Korean embassy, or a designated university).
‣ Each 1st selection institution will draft a selections standard based on the criteria provisioned by NIIED, and recommend the best applicants according to its respective standards.
‣ Secondly, The NIIED Selection Committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection institutions.
‣ Finally, Only the candidates who were recommended by a Korean embassy and passed the 2nd selection successfully will be evaluated for admission by the 3 universities to which they applied; each candidate has to gain admission from at least one university.
Notification for Korean Government Scholarship
‣ Final Successful Candidates will be announced by 16th June 2016.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants must apply for the Korean Government Scholarship Program via either the Embassy Track or the University Track.
‣ Applicants have to apply for this program via either an embassy or a designated university.
‣ Overseas Korean adoptees have to apply only via an embassy if their countries are allotted the adoptee quotas. Former KGSP scholars have to apply via embassy only.
‣ Applicants (including Korean adoptees) who apply for this program via Korean Embassies must choose 3 desired universities out of the 60 universities listed.
‣ Korean Government Scholarship applicants who apply for this program via the designated universities may choose only 1 desired university out of the 60 universities listed.
‣ Scholarship Application due Date : the deadlines vary for each Korean embassy and university.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.