Korea Foundation Fellowship for Korean Language Training Program, and applications are submitted till August 31, 2017. Applications are invited for Korea Foundation Fellowship available for graduate students of Korean studies overseas, Korean studies researchers and those working in Korea-related fields. The duration of this fellowship is 6 months. Fellowship recipients must progress one language level higher for each semester of study. After the fellowship period has expired, the recipient must submit a final report of his/her research results to the Foundation in accordance with a format provided by KF. The application deadline is August 31, 2076. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Korea
Level: This six month fellowship is available for Korean language training program.
Field(s): Korean studies.
Deadline: August 31, 2017.
Funded By: Korea Foundation, Korea
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Korea Foundation Fellowship is targeted for International applicants
‣ No. of awards: Approx. 40 fellowships are awarded per year.
‣ Scholarship Tenure : The duration of this fellowship is 6 months. If the fellowship recipient demonstrates outstanding research results, the fellowship period may be extended for three-month periods for up to two times maximum, adding up to a maximum total period of 12 months.
of Scholarship :
‣ Since 1993, the Korea Foundation has offered an annual fellowship program for Korean language training for the general promotion and dissemination of the Korean language, which is the basis of promoting Korean studies and Korea-related activities overseas.
‣ In accordance with the guidelines listed below, the Foundation is currently accepting applications for its 2017 KLT program. This Korea Foundation Fellowship program provides an opportunity for graduate students of Korean studies overseas, Korean studies researchers and those working in Korea-related fields to learn Korean in an intensive immersion program at a university in Korea for at least six months.
Other Fellowships at KF ( Korean Foundation
2017 Korean Art Workshop for Overseas Curators(Individual ) -=> Deadline :08-11-2017 18:00
2018 Fellowship for Field Research (Individual ) -=> Deadline : 08-31-2017 11:59
2018-2020 Support for Overseas Museums ( Institution) => Deadline :08-31-2017 18:00
2018-2019 Arts and Cultural Exchange Program ( Institution) => Deadline: 08-31-2017 18:00
2018 KF Support for Policy-Oriented Research Program ( Institution) => Deadline: 08-31-2017 23:59
2018 Support for Establishment of Professorship ( Institution) => Deadline: 09-08-2017 12:00
‣ Persons majoring in Korean studies (eligible areas: humanities, social sciences, culture/arts), are currently involved in Korea-related research, or work in Korea-related fields who correspond to one of the following profiles may apply for this fellowship. All those who apply must be able to understand and speak at least basic-level Korean.
‣ Undergraduate students: Major or minor in Korean studies (or Korean language) in one of the following areas: Southeast Asia, Central Europe, CIS, the Middle East, Central and South America, Africa. Please note: undergraduate students in their third or fourth year whose affiliated university is not located in one of the above-mentioned areas and does not have an official program in Korean studies or language but have taken at least eight Korea-related courses may also apply for the fellowship.
‣ In this case, the applicant must provide a grade transcript that verifies the course content. Also, the primary recommender (head of affiliation) should include in his/her recommendation a statement that there is no program in the major in question at the university as well as an explanation of the absence of the program.
‣ M.A./Ph.D. candidates: Graduate students pursuing a major or minor in a Korea-related field with a detailed thesis proposal on a Korea-related topic
‣ University professors, university lecturers and researchers: Professors, lecturers and researchers who are currently teaching Korea-related or Korean language courses or who are conducting Korea-related research at a university or research institute (non-profit, government-funded, university-affiliated, etc.).
‣ Professionals: Professionals engaged in Korea-related activities in the arts and culture field (for example, a curator of a Korean gallery at an overseas museum, a Korean studies librarian at an overseas university, a journalist who mainly deals with current affairs on Korea)
‣ Former Diplomat Fellows: The former fellows who have completed the KF Korean Language and Culture Training program for Diplomats and wish to take more courses that are focused on language training (separate applicant pool)
‣ A Announcement of Fellowship Awardees will be by December 2015. Notification will be provided to individual applicant via email.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications should be submitted via Online Application
Applications should be submitted via the KF Online Application System (http://apply.kf.or.kr).
Click on the “Apply” button at the bottom of this program announcement and complete the online application form. You must first register for membership before applying.
※ Important Reminders for the Online Application
- The “Apply” button is activated only during the application period (from July 1 to August 31, 2017).
- The application and all supporting documents should be written in English or Korean.
- Bibliographies and/or citations in any publications or dissertations included with the application must follow APA or MLA style.
- Click the ‘Temporary Save’ button whenever you make any changes to the application, particularly when attaching supplemental documents.
- For supplementary documents, one PDF file may be uploaded per category.
For optimal operation of KF online application system, please use Chrome or Internet Explorer browser.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on August 31, 2017 [2017-07-01 12:00:00 ~ 2017-08-31 12:00:00]
1. Application Period: July 1, 2017 12:00 p.m. to August 31, 2017 12:00 p.m. (in Korean time)
2. Notification of Results: December 2017
※ Notification date is subject to change without prior notice. The result will be provided to individual applicant via e-mail.
3. The Fellowship period starts in the spring term (March to August) or fall term (September to February) of the following year. Applicants may select their preferred term.
Online application form
① Applicant’s personal/basic information
② Proposal (Within 400 words in English or 400 letters in Korean, please explain your reasons and goal for undertaking Korean language training, the necessity for Korean language competency in your studies or current job, and future plans.)
2. Supplementary Documents
※ Please note: One PDF file may be uploaded per attachment category. Only scanned and saved files are valid. Photograph files will not be counted toward the application.
① A copy of the applicant’s highest academic degree
② Certificate of employment or enrollment issued during the application period: any document that verifies your current affiliation.
※ Must have been issued during from July to August 2017 which is the application period
- Undergraduate: a transcript of grades received for all undergraduate academic work
- Graduate (MA/Ph.D.): a transcript of grades received for all undergraduate and graduate academic work
※ Students who have not yet graduated must submit grades for the spring 2017 semester as well.
- Professors, lecturers or other professionals: only the transcript of the applicant’s highest degree
④ Evidence of Korean language proficiency: TOPIK or KLPT (Korean Language Proficiency Test) certificates of proficiency, university language program transcripts (only as a supplement), and etc.
※ TOPIK Level 3 certification holders preferred.
※ Applicants from countries where TOPIK or KLPT are not administered should submit a short statement to describe this exceptional situation with his/her signature as a PDF file. In this case, proof of Korean language proficiency need not be submitted.
⑤ Two letters of reference (directly submitted via online application system by recommenders):
- Head of affiliated institution
‧ Undergraduate and graduate students: department head, thesis supervisor, etc.
‧ Professors, lecturers or other professionals: Head of applicant’s affiliated institution (for example, the affiliated university’s dean or higher authority, director or higher authority of the affiliated division, etc.)
- Korean language instructor: must be authorized professors or lecturers specializing in Korean and be capable of evaluating the applicant’s level of Korean proficiency.
※ After an applicant submits an online application, the online application system will automatically send an e-mail to the recommenders whose e-mail information has been provided in advance by the applicant. Therefore, an applicant should inform their recommenders about the impending letter of recommendation before applying.
※ Both recommendations must be received during the application submission period in order for the application to be processed.
※ Those who are selected as fellowship awardees may be requested by KF to submit additional documentation.
Fellowship recipients must progress one language level higher for each term of study. After the fellowship period has expired, the recipient must submit a final report of his/her results to the Foundation in accordance with a format provided by KF.
Important Reminders on Fellowship
1. The institution at which a fellowship recipient is to receive training will be selected by the KF, and the recipient must begin his/her fellowship period in March or September. Recipients may not defer enrollment to the following year.
2. During the fellowship period, fellowship recipients may not receive support from another KF program or another institution.
3. During the fellowship period, recipients may not engage in any type of profit-making or remunerative activity.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
T. +82-2-2046-8579 (Helpdesk)
+82-2-2151-6514 (Ho Jung Lee, Senior Program Officer, Invitation and Fellowship Department)
Questions regarding the online application system: Helpdesk board of the website, or firstname.lastname@example.org
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.