JSPS RONPAKU (DISSERTATION PhD) PROGRAM is targeted for young researchers from Asia and Africa. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Japanese universities | Japan
Level: Dissertation PhD Programme
Field(s): All fields within the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included.
Deadline: August 7, 2013
Funded By: The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): JSPS RONPAKU (DISSERTATION PhD) PROGRAM is targeted for young researchers from Asia and Africa.
Candidates must be a researcher whose university/institution is in one of the following countries:
ASIA (including Middle East countries)
Afghanistan,Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh*, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China*, Georgia, India, Indonesia*, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyz, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia*, Maldives, Mongolia*, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, the Philippines*, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand*, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UAE, Uzbekistan, Vietnam* andYemen
Algeria, Angora, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt*, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
JSPS RONPAKU also treats Taiwan and Palestine in this manner.
‣ Award No: Approximately 30
‣ Scholarship Duration: Maximum 3 years from 1 April 2014
‣ Scholarship covers: travel and study expenses are covered
‣ The aim of JSPS RONPAKU (Dissertation PhD) Program is to provide tutorial and financial support to promising young researchers in Asia and Africa who wish to obtain their PhD degrees from Japanese universities through the submission of a dissertation without going through a doctoral course.
‣ Grantees under the program (RONPAKU Fellows) are given the opportunity to visit their Japanese advisor to receive direct supervision at the Japanese university where they will submit their PhD thesis.
JSPS Financial Support
(1) Total funding provided to Japanese host university
Maximum of 3.6 million yen (Up to 1.2 million yen per fiscal year)
(2) The following expenses can be covered by the above funding:
Travel expenses between Japan and RONPAKU fellow’s home country, and within Japan by the fellow and his/her Japanese advisors; expenses incurred in conducting research in
Japan and fellow’s home country; and other expenses related to the fellow’s dissertation submission (based on Japanese host university’s regulations), etc.
※Each fiscal year, at least 70% of total funding must be used for travel expenses.
JSPS will contract the Japanese host universities, conclude a contract with them to commission the RONPAKU program operation, and provide them with funding of up to 1.2
million yen per fiscal year. RONPAKU fellows will receive travel expenses and other necessary expenses through the Japanese host universities based on its regulations.
‣ As this program is administered based on the annual budget for each Japanese fiscal year (from 1 April to 31 March), JSPS cannot carry over the remittance of any allowances or other payments to the following fiscal year.
Notes: These terms are subject to change.
Each applicant for the JSPS RONPAKU (DISSERTATION PhD) PROGRAM must be a researcher who
‣ belongs to a university or research institute in the above-listed countries
‣ already holds a full-time position as a researcher in a university or research institution in his/her home country or will likely be appointed to such a position by 1 April of the starting year of the fellowship
‣ is 45 years of age or younger as of 1 April of the starting year of the fellowship(~ JFY2011, under age 50). Further eligibility requirements for this program are provided in the Application Guidelines.
Eligibility of Japanese Advisor
‣ The candidate’s Japanese advisor must be a full-time researcher who, as of 1 April 2014, is 2 engaged in implementing a doctoral course at the Japanese university to which the prospective RONPAKU fellow will submit his/her PhD thesis.
Eligibility of RONPAKU Fellow
The candidate must be a researcher
(1) Who has not obtained a PhD degree from a university
(2) Who wishes to obtain a PhD degree from a Japanese university through the submission of a dissertation
(3) Who has already achieved substantial research results and is likely through dissertation research under the program to successfully obtain a PhD degree
(4) Who is employed full time at a university or research institution in his/her home country or will likely be appointed to such a position by April 1, 2014
(5) Who is 45 years of age or younger as of April 1, 2014
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Prospective Japanese advisors will be required to use JSPS’s online application system to apply for the program. For detailed procedures, please refer to the online application system guide at http://www-shinsei.jsps.go.jp/ (in Japanese).
‣ RONAPKU candidates are to prepare Forms 2 and 3 and send them to their prospective Japanese advisor. Then, the advisor is to fill out Form1 and submit it with all the other forms to JSPS through his/her university.
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website.
‣ Further eligibility requirements for this program are provided in the Application Guidelines.
You may also like
Scholarship Tags: 2014, JSPS, Dissertation, Japan
Your first paragraph ...