JSMC PhD Fellowships for German and International Researchers in Germany, and applications are submitted till February 21, 2018. The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites researchers from all over the world for a doctoral research position. International applicants are invited for the position to conduct research on the project Chemical communication between bacteria in iron-rich lake aggregates. The Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) is funded by the German Excellence Initiative. JSMC is an ambitious Graduate School with over 150 doctoral researchers who are educated in a structured, interdisciplinary training program based on top-level fundamental research. The aim of this project is to elucidate the chemical interaction between fe-oxidizing and fe-reducing bacteria which dominate the microbial community of pelagic iron-rich aggregates (iron snow). Candidates should demonstrate adequate competence in the English language as it is the language of instruction at JSMC. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Level: PhD Research
Field(s): Fellowship will be awarded to conduct research on the project Chemical communication between bacteria in iron-rich lake aggregates.
Deadline: February 21, 2018
Funded By: JSMC Friedrich Schiller University Jena
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): JSMC PhD Fellowships are targeted for International and German applicants.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) funded for three years
based on the regulations of the German Research Foundation as well as
generous research funding.
‣ Scholarship covers: a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities -a doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) funded for three years based on the regulations of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as well as generous research funding -a comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisers -a top-level PhD training program with courses in state-of-the-art research technologies and soft skills -Jena – the German City of Science 2008: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University.
‣ Selection of applicants for the JSMC PhD Position (= funding for a 3-year doctoral research project including employment and research budget) is organized in JSMC Recruitments. Once per year JSMC Recruitment Calls is launched with up to 10 research projects being offered per call. Applications for the JSMC Positions are invited from young researchers from all over the world. Please find the details on the candidate selection procedure for the JSMC Positions below.
Please note: For doctoral researchers who already are members of a JSMC Research Training Group and/or who are supervised by a member of the JSMC Faculty admission to the JSMC Training Program is possible without participating in a JSMC Recruitment (follow this link for details).
General Requirements for a JSMC Fellowship Application
Applicants must have - or be about to - obtain a Master's degree or equivalent (e.g., the German 'Diplom') in Natural Sciences or a related field. Students holding a Bachelor's degree from a research-oriented institution can also be admitted to the program if they have shown outstanding performance (e.g. making a major contribution to a refereed publication).In general, those welcome to apply will be students with a degree in biology, chemistry, physics, medical sciences, bioinformatics, and earth sciences. Please check whether your research experience matches the open projects on offer during the current Recruitment Call. Applicants should show a strong interest in the JSMC research program centered on the overarching topic "Microbial Communication". They should also be willing to engage enthusiastically in cross-disciplinary projects .
Both German as well as international students are welcome to apply. However, candidates should demonstrate adequate competence in the English language as English is the language of instruction at JSMC.
‣ Selected applicants will be invited to the JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, on June 16-18, 2018. Awarding decisions will be made shortly thereafter, allowing the projects to start immediately.
‣ Applicants are required to apply online.
The JSMC Recruitment is a three-stage process:
Stage 1: Submit your application via our Online Application Portal
Please acquaint yourself with the PhD projects offered within the latest JSMC Recruitment Call. Then access our Online Application Portal to enter your application data and to upload additional documents.
Applications can only be considered if your data is submitted to us via the Online Application Portal before the application deadline. Please DO NOT send any other documents to us by email unless you are explicitly invited to do so. Applications via email and regular mail will NOT be considered.
Stage 2: Telephone Interviews
Candidates with adequate qualifications may be asked to participate in a telephone interview for further evaluation.
Stage 3: JSMC Recruitment Meeting
Candidates who succesfully passed the first three selection stages will be invited to attend a JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany. Economy travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by JSMC. Successful candidates will be able to start with their JSMC PhD Fellowship shortly after the Recruitment Meeting (later starting dates can also be arrange
The JSMC Recruitment Meetings are meant as an opportunity for both sides - candidates and JSMC members - to get to know each other. They therefore include various events:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on February 21, 2018..
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.