International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) is offering two fellowships for developing countries. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Turkey, Italy, Spain, Austria, Brazil, United Kingdom, Germany, United States and Australia
Field(s): any ophthalmology subspecialty.
Deadline: September 30 of each year.
Funded By: International Council of Ophthalmology
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): International Council of Ophthalmology Retina Research Foundation Helmerich Fellowship is targeted for Citizens of developing countries (Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor?Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
‣ Award No: Two fellowships are awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellowships are awarded for one year.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowships will include US$25,000 for one year to cover round trip travel, living expenses and professional expenses.
‣ The International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) Fellowships Program was organized to help promising young ophthalmologists from developing countries improve their practical skills and broaden their perspectives of ophthalmology.
‣ Fellows are expected to bring the acquired knowledge and skills back to their home countries and take part in programs to preserve vision and prevent blindness.
‣ ICO-Retina Research Foundation Helmerich Fellowships provide support for one year of training in any subspecialty of young ophthalmologists from developing countries who are committed to enhancing ophthalmic education and improving patient care in their home countries
To avail International Council of Ophthalmology Retina Research Foundation Helmerich Fellowships, candidates must meet the following criteria:
‣ Applicant must be from a developing country.
‣ Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying.
‣ He or she must be a graduate of an ophthalmology residency training program.
‣ He or she must be recommended by the ophthalmology head of a teaching institution or public service hospital in a developing country.
‣ Applicant must be accepted for ophthalmology subspecialty fellowship, one year in duration, at an advanced ophthalmology training center.
‣ Applicant must be reasonably fluent in the language of the fellowship training center.
‣ He or she must be committed to return to a position at a teaching institution or public service hospital in the fellow’s home country.
‣ Candidates who have passed the ICO Examinations in Basic Science, Optics, or Clinical Sciences will receive special consideration. However, passage of the ICO Examinations is not a requirement for application.
‣ Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO will receive special consideration.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Apply online.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due by 30 September 2013.
‣ Applicants will be notified by November 30.
You may also like
Scholarship Tags: 2013, 2014, Australia, Austria, Brazil, developing countries, Featured, Fellowship, germany, Italy, Spain, Turkey, UK, USA