ICDD PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries in Social and Agricultural Sciences, and applications are submitted till 15 March 2015. The International Center for Development and Decent Work (ICDD) offers PhD Positions. Positions are open for citizenship of an ODA recipient country. The position is available to apply for a PhD scholarship in a particular academic field at an ICDD partner university. Scholarship will cover a country-specific monthly allowance, tuition fees, the participation in ICDD graduate school activities as well as the opportunity to apply for field research funding. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): ICDD partner university (Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Unicamp), Brazil; University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana; Egerton University (EGU), Kenya; University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF), Pakistan ; University of Kassel, Germany ; University of Kassel, Germany ; Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), India ; University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), South Africa
Level: PhD Degree
Field(s): economics, development studies, agricultural science, labour studies and sociology.
Deadline: 15 March 2015
Funded By: The International Center for Development and Decent Work (ICDD)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): ICDD PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries is targeted for Citizens of an ODA country can apply for this position. (Afghanistan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Armenia, Albania, Angola, Kenya, Bolivia, Algeria, Bangladesh, Tajikistan, Cabo Verde, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Argentina, Bhutan, Congo, Azerbaijan, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Belarus, Burundi, Egypt Belize, Cambodia El Salvador Bosnia and Herzegovina, Central African Republic, Georgia, Botswana, Chad, Ghana, Brazil, Comoros, Guatemala, Chile, Democratic Republic of the Congo Guyana China (People’s Republic of), Djibouti, Honduras, Colombia, Equatorial Guinea, India, Cook Islands, Eritrea, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Kosovo, Cuba, Gambia, Kyrgyzstan, Dominica, Guinea, Micronesia, Dominican Republic, Guinea-Bissau, Moldova, Ecuador, Haiti, Mongolia, Fiji,
Kiribati, Morocco, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Nicaragua, Gabon, Lesotho, Nigeria ,Grenada, Liberia, Pakistan, Iran, Madagascar Papua New Guinea Iraq, Malawi, Paraguay, Jamaica, Mali, Philippines, Jordan, Mauritania, Samoa, Kazakhstan, Mozambique, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Myanmar, Swaziland, Libya, Nepal, Syrian Arab Republic, Malaysia, Niger, Tokelau, Maldives, Rwanda, Ukraine, Marshall Islands, Sao Tome and Principe, Uzbekistan, Mauritius,Senegal, Viet Nam, Mexico, Sierra Leone, West Bank and Gaza Strip, Montenegro, Solomon Islands, Montserrat, Somalia, Namibia, South Sudan, Nauru, Sudan, Niue, Tanzania, Palau, Timor-Leste, Panama, Togo, Peru, Tuvalu, Saint Helena, Uganda, Saint Lucia, Vanuatu, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Wallis and Futuna Yemen, Serbia, Zambia, Seychelles, South Africa, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uruguay and Venezuela)
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The ICDD PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries will be awarded for twelve months.
‣ Scholarship covers: The position will cover a country-specific monthly allowance, tuition fees (if applicable), the participation in ICDD Graduate School activities as well as the opportunity to apply for field research funding.
‣ PhD students of the ICDD Graduate School will be based at the partner university they chose (see above) and enrolled in its PhD training programme. Moreover, successful candidates participate in the annual PhD workshops of the ICDD Graduate School and get involved in the lively academic exchange and activities within the ICDD network.
‣ The PhD scholarship will be awarded for three years. An extension for a fourth year is possible under certain conditions.
‣ The ICDD PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries will cover a country-specific monthly allowance, tuition fees (if applicable), the participation in ICDD Graduate School activities as well as the opportunity to apply for field research funding.
‣ Final admission to the ICDD Graduate School is conditioned on the admittance to the PhD programme of the chosen ICDD partner university and a positive progress evaluation by the ICDD in the first scholarship year.
‣ Submit a completed or almost completed MA/MSc degree, with excellent results, in a discipline related to the above topics; the applicant’s last academic degree should not be more than six years ago; if an applicant already started with his/her PhD project, it should have started not more than three years ago
‣ A high proficiency of English (CEFR level: C1 or above), demonstrated by one of the following language certificates: TOEFL, with a minimum score of 550 PBT (paper-based test) / 80 IBT (Internet-based test); IELTS 6.5 or above; the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English or an equivalent (native speakers and applicants who have completed their first degree fully in English do not have to provide an English proficiency certificate)
‣ Academic or vocational experience in one of the disciplines related to the thematic field of development and decent work
‣ Citizenship of an ODA recipient country (countries eligible for Official Development Assistance of the OECD)
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications can only be submitted online: Apart from providing some personal information, information on your academic background etc., the following documents must be uploaded as PDF or WORD files at the end of the online application process:
‣ A detailed curriculum vitae (including the academic background, the list of publications [if applicable], professional experience, language skills, voluntary work)
‣ A preliminary PhD project proposal (about 2000 words, including topic, research question, short overview of the relevant literature, theoretical approach, research design and methodology)
‣ A summary of the Master thesis (about 1500 words)
‣ Scanned copy of an English proficiency certificate, if required
‣ Scanned copies of the following documents in the original language with translations attached, if the language of these documents is not German, English, French, Spanish or Portuguese:
‣ The certificate and transcript of records of your recognized Master degree, listing all subjects and grades (if you have not yet completed your Master degree, please provide only the transcript and substitute the certificate with a letter from the programme coordinator testifying the date and likelihood of the successful completion of the course)
‣ The certificate and transcript of records of your recognized Bachelor degree, listing all subjects and grades
‣ Certificates for the completion of additional studies, listing all subjects and grades, if applicable
‣ Scanned copies of certificates of previous professional/vocational experience, if applicable.
‣ ICDD PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries spplications are due on 15 March, 2015
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.