Hubble Fellowships for Postdoctoral Scientists in USA , and applications will be open from September 1, 2017 through November 2, 2017, 7:00 PM EDT (4:00 PM PDT 23:00 UTC). The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is inviting application for Hubble Fellowships available for postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent research at United States Host Institutions chosen by each Fellow. The Fellowship provides support for up to three years at an annual stipend of approximately $67,000 plus benefits and an additional allowance of $16,000 per year for travel and other research costs. Fellowships are open to citizens of the United States and to English-speaking citizens of other countries. Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Fellowships are available for highly qualified recent postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent research at United States Host Institutions chosen by each Fellow
Field(s): Hubble Fellowships for Postdoctoral Scientists are awarded to conduct research that is broadly related to the NASA Cosmic Origins scientific goals as addressed by any of the missions in that program: the Hubble Space Telescope, Spitzer Space Telescope, Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA), the Herschel Space Observatory, and the James Webb Space Telescope.
Deadline: applications will be open from September 1, 2017 through November 2, 2017, 7:00 PM EDT (4:00 PM PDT 23:00 UTC).
Funded By: NASA (administered by the Space Telescope Science Institute, STScI)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Hubble Fellowships for Postdoctoral Scientists are targeted for US and international students (English-speaking citizens of other countries) .
‣ Award No: Contingent upon National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) funding, up to 17 new Hubble Fellowships will be awarded for 2015.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Contingent upon the availability of funding from NASA, Hubble Fellowships are awarded through grants to Host Institutions for up to a three-year period. Funding will be provided initially for the first year of the Fellowship. Renewals for the second and third years will depend on annual performance reviews.
‣ Scholarship covers: The initial annual stipend for a Hubble Fellow will be approximately $67,000, subject to annual review and adjustment. In addition, the Hubble Fellow can receive health insurance, relocation costs, and support for travel, computing services, publications, and other direct research costs. No additional stipend, salary, or other remuneration may be accepted from any other appointment (such as teaching), fellowship, or similar grant during the period of the Fellowship. Additional honorary named appointments intended to be linked with the title of “Hubble Fellow” are similarly not allowed.
‣ The Hubble Fellowship Program provides an opportunity for highly qualified recent postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent research that is broadly related to the NASA Cosmic Origins scientific goals as addressed by any of the missions in that program: the Hubble Space Telescope, Spitzer Space Telescope, Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA), the Herschel Space Observatory, and the James Webb Space Telescope.
‣ The research will be carried out at United States Host Institutions chosen by each Fellow.
‣ Applicants must have received a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral-level research degree in astronomy, physics, or a related discipline on or after January 1, 2012.
‣ Graduate-student awardees who have not yet received their doctoral degree at the time of application must present evidence of having completed all requirements for the degree- before commencing their Fellowships.
‣ Hubble Fellowships are open to citizens of the United States and to English-speaking citizens of other countries.
‣ Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, or national origin. Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notification for Hubble Fellowships for Postdoctoral Scientists
‣ After this date additional offers may be made if any of the initial awards are not accepted.
Award offers will be made by early February 2018.
‣ Applicants must submit their materials via the web Application Form.
Applicants must submit their materials via the web Application Form. These materials must include:
Please do not attach anything not listed above (reprints, preprints, cover letter, etc.) to your application.
All materials submitted must be in at least 12-point font, single spaced, and all pages should be numbered.
Non-U.S. applicants should make sure that their applications will copy successfully onto 8.5x11 inch (21.6x28 cm) paper without loss (i.e., with 1-inch margins on all sides). Please keep each file to less than 2 MB.
When you fill out the Application Form you will be asked to specify the science fields and techniques that best match your proposed research. This is to help us match your proposal to readers. For a detailed listing and more information on how they are used in the review, see Science Categories and Techniques.
3. Research Proposal
Each applicant must formulate a specific research program that is related to or motivated by NASA Astrophysics strategic goals and is compatible with the research activities of the host institution. The research proposal text should be no more than three pages of text in length, with up to two additional pages for references and/or figures. Pages over the limit will be discarded.
4. Letters of Reference
Applicants should arrange for letters of reference to be submitted by three individuals who are familiar with their scientific abilities and listed on the Application Form. Letters must be no more than 3 pages in length including salutation and signature–any additional pages will be discarded.
These letters must be uploaded no later than November 9, 2017.
Applicants should emphasize to their referees that the letters must be uploaded as PDF files using the submission form by the deadline for the review panelists to be able to see the letters. There is no assurance that late letters can be sent to the reviewers in time to be considered during the selection process. Referees will receive an email with instructions for uploading their letters.
Both referees and applicants will receive an email confirming the submission of each referee letter. If this email is not received, or if there are any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
5. Endorsement Letter
Applicants who have been offered an NHFP Fellowship must arrange for their fellowship to be endorsed by an official of the host institution. The letter of endorsement must be provided to STScI after the notification letters have been received by the successful offerees. The faculty contact at the host institution can usually help the offeree to determine who is the appropriate official, e.g. the department chair, division head, etc. The institutional endorsement is necessary to indicate that adequate facilities will be provided for the fellow. The endorsement consists of an acceptance letter signed by an authorizing official (typically the department chairperson) of the first-choice host institution. An example acceptance letter is as follows:
NASA Hubble Fellowship Program
Space Telescope Science Institute
3700 San Martin Drive
I am writing in regard to [offeree's name]'s application for an NHFP Fellowship. We have reviewed his/her research proposal entitled "[program title]" and are pleased to endorse it and to inform you that we will welcome him/her here and offer him/her support and facilities during the fellowship. Dr. [Faculty Contact's name] has agreed to serve as his/her faculty contact. Dr. [Faculty Contact's name] is authorized to act as Principal Investigator for external funding at our institution.
We acknowledge that our institutional indirect costs will be waived on the Fellowship stipend and fringe benefits.
The authorizing official should upload the letter per the instructions received in the email sent to the successful offeree.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : The website for applications will be open from September 1, 2017 through November 2, 2017, 7:00 PM EDT (4:00 PM PDT 23:00 UTC).
Letters of reference are due by November 9, 2017.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Applications for the NHFP Fellowships must be made using the NHFP Fellowship Application and Review Software (FARS) forms. For technical questions related to application and/or letter submission, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about policies and procedures regarding the NASA Hubble Fellowship Program, please contact the Hubble Fellowship Program coordinators at email@example.com.
For Further Information
Prospective applicants may wish to consult the website Hints for Applicants for some helpful suggestions. Requests for additional information on application procedures and supporting documents may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.