Harkness Fellowships in Health Care Policy and Practice and application deadline is September 5, 2017 for Australia and New Zealand and November 13, 2017: France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United Kingdom. The Canadian Harkness/CFHI Fellowship will not be offered for the 2018-19 Harkness year. Funding for a Canadian Harkness Fellow for future years is under consideration, but no further information is available at this time. Harkness Fellowships are offered by Commonwealth Fund for mid-career professionals—academic researchers, clinicians, managers, government policymakers and journalists to conduct one year research study on critical issue on the health policy agenda in both the USA and applicant’s home country. Full details:
School(Institutions/Country): | USA and Applicant’s home country.
Field(s): Health Care Policy and Practice discipline.
Deadline: September 5, 2017 for Australia and New Zealand and November 13, 2017: France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United Kingdo
Funded by: Commonwealth Fund
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Harkness Fellowships is targeted for the citizens of Australia, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and UK
‣ Award No: Up to 13 Fellows are selected annually, typically one from Australia, one from Canada, one from France, two from Germany, two from the Netherlands, one from New Zealand, one from Norway, and four from the United Kingdom.
‣ Scholarship Duration:up to 12 months
‣ Scholarship Covers: Each fellowship provides up to U.S. $130,000 in support (which covers roundtrip airfare to the United States, a living allowance, funds for project-related travel, research, conferences, travel to attend The Commonwealth Fund program of fellowship seminars, health insurance, and U.S. federal and state taxes) for terms up to 12 months, with a minimum stay of ten months in the United States required. Individually tailored, the fellowships allow flexibility to accommodate professional commitments and personal circumstances. A peer-reviewed journal article or policy report is the anticipated product of each project.
The Commonwealth Fund invites promising mid-career professionals—academic researchers, clinicians, managers, government policymakers, and journalists—from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom, to apply for a unique opportunity to spend up to 12 months in the United States as a Harkness Fellow in Health Care Policy and Practice. Fellows work with leading U.S. experts to study a critical issue on the health policy agenda in both the U.S. and their home country. A rich program of seminars organized by the Fund throughout the year further enhances the fellowship experience (described in the Fellowship Seminars section.)
‣ Harkness Fellowships are designed for mid-career professionals who are committed to advancing health policy and practice in The Commonwealth Fund’s principal areas of interest: improving health insurance coverage and access to care; and improving the quality and efficiency of health care services.
‣ Projects may include comparisons between the United States and the applicant’s home country.
‣ Fellowships are not awarded to support study for academic degrees.
‣ All applicants must:
Scholarship Application Method
‣ All candidates must complete a formal application, including:
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Date: September 5, 2017 for Australia and New Zealand and November 13, 2017: France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United Kingdom
The 2018-19 Harkness Fellows in Health Care Policy and Practice will arrive in the United States from August to September 2018. During their stay in the United States, Fellows identify and collect data, conduct site visits or interviews, and meet with experts, as they undertake a substantive research study addressing critical issues of policy and practice related to the U.S. and their home country.
‣ It is important to read the application guideline, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website