German Chancellor Fellowships for Tomorrow’s Leaders in Germany, and applications are submitted till 15th September 2016. The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is offering Fellowships prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia and the USA to conduct a project as guests of the partner of their choice in Germany. German C Fellowships are open to an array of sectors such as politics, economics, the media, administration and culture. The fellowship itself is awarded for twelve months and begins in October with a four-week introductory seminar in Bonn and Berlin. This is followed by eleven months of individual project work starting in November. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Level: It is a twelve months fellowship which provides opportunity fellows to conduct a project as guests of the partner of their choice in Germany.
Field(s): German Chancellor Fellowships are open to an array of sectors such as politics, economics, the media, administration and culture.
Deadline: 15th September 2016.
Funded By: The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): German Chancellor Fellowships are targeted for Citizens of Brazil, China, India, Russia and the USA can apply for the German Chancellor Fellowships.
‣ Award No: The Foundation grants up to 50 German Chancellor Fellowships annually, up to ten prospective leaders selected from each of the five countries.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The fellowship itself is awarded for twelve months and begins in October with a four-week introductory seminar in Bonn and Berlin, which provides insights into social, political, business and cultural life in Germany. This is followed by eleven months of individual project work starting in November.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowship amount is 2,150 EUR, 2.450 EUR or 2,750 EUR per month, depending on the fellow’s qualifications. This stipend includes a travel allowance and a contribution towards health and liability insurance.
The stay in Germany begins with a mandatory two-month intensive language course from August to September; Fellows whose German language skills are good but could still be improved are required to take part in a one-month language course; for fellows with excellent German language skills the requirement to take this intensive language course is waived. Additional benefits are as follows:
‣ The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation offers prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia and the USA the opportunity to conduct a project as guests of the partner of their choice in Germany.
‣ With the support of your host you can spend a year concentrating on a project you have chosen yourself and give your career that crucial boost. German Chancellor Fellowships are open to an array of sectors such as politics, economics, the media, administration and culture.
‣ The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of this German Chancellor Fellowships programme. During their time in Germany, Federal Chancellor Fellows conduct independent projects at their host institutions.
‣ The project should involve original exploration of a topic or issue, or research in the fellow’s respective field of interest.
‣ The fellows are mentored by hosts in Germany, whom the fellows have chosen on the basis of their expertise in their respective areas.
‣ Projects should be of relevance to modern societies, have a long-term and visible impact, and help to advance fellows’ careers and professional development.
‣ Through their experience in Germany, fellows will acquire greater knowledge of their fields, gain new international experience, and strengthen their intercultural competence – all essential qualities for future professional leaders.
‣ Citizenship of the United States, the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, Brazil or India.
‣ Bachelor’s or comparable academic degree, completed less than twelve years prior to the starting date of the fellowship (1 October of the year following application)
‣ Demonstrated leadership potential ; applicants whose background are largely academic should also have gained some leadership experience beyond their own research activities
‣ Either English or German language skills
‣ A letter of motivation
‣ A project plan; the candidate must draw up the project plan independently and secure the support of the proposed mentor before submitting an application
‣ A detailed host’s statement, including a confirmation of support
‣ Two letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal, and/or academic background
‣ Applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of the application deadline (15 September) are not eligible to apply.
‣ Anyone who has already been sponsored by the Humboldt Foundation cannot apply to the Foundation for the German Chancellor Fellowship and should instead refer to the Foundation’s Alumni Programme for support for further stays in Germany.
Selection Criteria for German Chancellor Fellowships
Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
Notification for German Chancellor Fellowships
‣ Selection meeting will be held at Bonn in May. In each selection round, the best applicants will be selected for a fellowship.
‣ Approval or rejection of an application is always related to the qualifications of the other applicants.
‣ Thus, it is usually impossible to provide detailed reasons for a rejection.
‣ The Humboldt Foundation does however offer all rejected interview candidates individual feedback.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications must be completed online.
Please consult the Programme Information (PDF) for details of the application requirements and fellowship specifications. The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of this fellowship programme. The Foundation grants up to 50 German Chancellor Fellowships annually – up to ten for each country. The closing date for applications is 15 September 2016.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15th September 2016.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.