Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships for Indian Scholars in USA , and applications are submitted till June 15, 2018, 23:59:59 hrs (IST). Applications are invited for Fulbright Nehru doctoral research fellowships available for Indian scholars for 2019/2020 academic year. These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research offered to scholars who are registered for a PhD at an Indian institution at least one year prior to the date of application. These fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any for six to nine months. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: pre-doctoral level research
Field(s): Applications will be considered only in the following fields: Agricultural Sciences; Applied Economics; Education Policy and Planning; Energy Studies; International Security and Strategic Studies; Public Health Policy and Management; Public Policy (limited to Science and Technology Policy); Science and Technology (limited to bioengineering, climate change sciences, computer and mathematical sciences, and neurosciences); Study of India (limited to language/literature/linguistics, history, and visual and performing arts); Study of the United States (limited to language/literature/linguistics, history, and visual and performing arts); Urban and Regional Planning and Women’s and Gender Studies.
Deadline: June 15, 2018, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
Funded By: The United States – India Educational Foundation (USIEF)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): |
Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are targeted for Indian scholars
‣ Award No: not specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: These Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are for six to nine months.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
‣ The Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are designed for scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
‣ You will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions.
‣ If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your application.
‣ Be a responsible Indian citizen who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of India, and thereby help to promote understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India;
‣ Have a high level of academic/professional achievement;
‣ Demonstrate proficiency in the English language to undertake the proposed project/program and adjust to life in the US. The applicant may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); -Be present in India at the time of submitting the application and interview, if required. If you will be abroad, please keep us informed.
‣ Be eligible for leave, if employed;
‣ Be in good health; -Not be residing in the United States;
‣ Not be applying for or holding permanent residence (green card) in the United States;
‣ Preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent US experience; and
‣ Should give an undertaking to return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
In addition to the General Prerequisites, the applicants:
‣ You should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the US. You should be registered for your PhD at an Indian institution at least one year prior to the date of application.
‣ In your online application form, you should upload a letter from your PhD supervisor that comments on your research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicates the PhD registration date and topic;
‣ This grant is intended for PhD students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/theses. Therefore, your expected PhD thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after your Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2017 is your grant end date, you cannot submit your thesis before August 2017. Please indicate the PhD registration date and the expected PhD thesis submission date in the FNDR Applicant Annexure;
‣ If you are employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period; and
‣ You should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from your M.Phil. thesis in your online application form.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ All applications must be completed online.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on June 15, 2018, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
Timeline and Placement Process
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.