Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship Competition in USA, and applications are submitted till January 8, 2016. Approximately 60 Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships are available for graduate study leading to a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) degree. The fellowship provides three years of support. Fellowships are tenable at any fully accredited, nonprofit, nonproprietary U.S. institution of higher education offering a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree in the eligible fields of study. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
provide support for individuals engaged in graduate study leading to
a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) degree at
any fully accredited, nonprofit, nonproprietary U.S. institution of
Field(s): Awards will be made for study in research-based Ph.D. or Sc.D. programs that include the following major disciplines and related interdisciplinary fields: American studies, anthropology, archaeology, art and theater history, astronomy, chemistry, communications, computer science, cultural studies, earth sciences, economics, engineering, ethnic studies, ethnomusicology, geography, history, international relations, language, life sciences, linguistics, literature, mathematics, performance study, philosophy, physics, political science, psychology, religious studies, sociology, urban planning, and women’s studies. Also eligible are interdisciplinary ethnic studies programs, such as African American studies and Native American studies, and other interdisciplinary programs, such as area studies, peace studies, and social justice. Research-based fields of education are eligible if the major field of study is listed above and is used to describe the Ph.D. or Sc.D. program of the applicant (e.g., sociology of education, anthropology and education).
Deadline: The application deadline is November 20, 2015 and supplementary materials must be submitted by January 8, 2016.
Funded By: Ford Foundation, USA
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship is targeted for All citizens, nationals, and permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident Card) of the United States can apply for these predoctoral fellowships.
year the program will award approximately 60 predoctoral fellowships.
fellowships provide three years of support for individuals engaged in
graduate study leading to a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of
Science (Sc.D.) degree. Fellowship recipients must begin the first
year’s tenure on September 1, 2016, and must remain on tenure
full-time for the academic year. After the fi rst year of fellowship
tenure, fellows may choose to defer funding for up to two years. All
three years of support must be used within a five-year period.
its program of Fellowships, the Ford Foundation seeks to increase the
diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties by
increasing their ethnic and racial diversity, to maximize the
educational benefi ts of diversity, and to increase the number of
professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching
the education of all students.
fellowships will be awarded in a national competition administered by
the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine on
behalf of the Ford Foundation.
Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship awards will be made to
individuals who, in the judgment of the review panels, have
demonstrated superior academic achievement, are committed to a career
in teaching and research at the college or university level, show
promise of future achievement as scholars and teachers, and are well
prepared to use diversity as a resource for enriching the education
of all students.
‣ All citizens, nationals, and permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident Card) of the United States, and individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program, regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation,
‣ Individuals with evidence of superior academic achievement (such as grade point average, class rank, honors or other designations),
‣ Individuals committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level,
‣ Individuals enrolled in or planning to enroll in an eligible research-based (dissertation-required), program leading to a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree at a non-proprietary U.S. educational institution,
‣ Individuals who as of the 2016 fall semester require a minimum of three years of study to complete their Ph.D./Sc.D. degree, and
‣ Individuals who have not earned a doctoral degree at any time, in any field.
Selection Criteria for Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
The following will be considered as positive factors in choosing successful candidates:
‣ Evidence of superior academic achievement
‣ Degree of promise of continuing achievement as scholars and teachers
‣ Capacity to respond in pedagogically productive ways to the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds
‣ Sustained personal engagement with communities that are underrepresented in the academy and an ability to bring this asset to learning, teaching, and scholarship at the college and university level
‣ Likelihood of using the diversity of human experience as an educational resource in teaching and scholarship
‣ Membership in one or more of the following groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding: Alaska Natives (Aleut, Eskimo or other Indigenous People of Alaska); Black/African Americans; Mexican Americans/Chicanas/Chicanos; Native American Indians; Native Pacifi c Islanders (Hawaiian/Polynesian/Micronesian); Puerto Ricans
‣ Applications will be evaluated by panels of distinguished scholars selected by the National Academies.
‣ The panels will use academic records, essays, letters of recommendation, the application itself, and other appropriate materials as the basis for determining the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements and the selection criteria.
‣ Review panels may also look at additional factors such as the suitability of the proposed institution for the applicant’s plan of graduate study and the likelihood that they will require a minimum of three years to complete their Ph.D./Sc.D. study as of the 2016 fall semester.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ The mode of applying is online. Applicants must register and establish a personal user ID and password.
‣ All application materials become the property of the National Academies and are not returned to applicants. Please note that all application materials must be written in English.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The application deadline is November 20, 2015 and supplementary materials must be submitted by January 8, 2016.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.