Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship for International Fellows in UK , and applications are submitted till 4:00 pm Thursday 21 September 2017. Applications are invited for Ernest Rutherford Fellowship from early career researchers who do not have a permanent academic position. Each Fellowship will last for five years, with up to 12 being offered annually. Fellowships may be held at any eligible UK research organisation as set out in the STFC. Fellowship applications are costed on the basis of full economic costs (fEC). Applicants are advised to contact their proposed host department as early as possible and certainly well ahead of the deadline for submission of applications. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK
Field(s): Applications must fall within the remit of the STFC core Science Programme (astronomy, solar and planetary science, particle physics, particle astrophysics, cosmology, nuclear physics) and afford scope for original word
Deadline: 21 September 2017 4:00 pm Thursday
Funded By: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship is targeted for applicants of any nationality are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
‣ Award No: STFC offers 12 2016 Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship annually.
‣ Scholarship Tenure : Fellowships are awarded for a period of 5 years.
‣ Scholarship covers: Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship applications are costed on the basis of full economic costs (fEC). If a Fellowship is awarded, STFC will provide funding at 80% of the fEC requested. The host institution must agree to find the balance of fEC for the proposal from other resources. Funding includes:
‣ The Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship will enable early career researchers with clear leadership potential to establish a strong, independent research programme.
‣ They will encourage talented researchers in UK universities to remain in the country and at the same time attract outstanding overseas researchers to the UK.
‣ An analysis of Fellows who have completed their Fellowship since 2006, disclosed all Fellows were employed and held permanent jobs. Further details showing the key benefits of a Fellowship can be found in the analysis of questionnaires.
‣ Applicants must have a PhD and a minimum of five years’ research experience from the start of the postgraduate programme leading to the award of a PhD and 1 September 2015 with, normally, a minimum of two years’ postdoctoral experience.
‣ Fellowships are open to applicants of any nationality. Where applicable, you will need to comply with Department of Employment requirements and hold a work permit prior to taking up the Fellowship. Work permits are a matter for direct negotiation between the institution, the Department of Employment and the Home Office.
‣ Applications are welcome from candidates who intend to use the Fellowship as a means of re? establishing themselves in the United Kingdom following a period overseas.
Selection Criteria for Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship
In considering your Fellowship application, the Fellowship Panel will use the following criteria:
‣ the excellence of the applicant, including the volume and significance of research outputs, their standing in their field and ability to communicate their science effectively;
‣ the timeliness and quality of the research proposal;
‣ the potential of the individual, including the capability to fulfill the wider responsibilities of an academic career (teaching, service on committees, public engagement etc) and evidence of leadership ability;
‣ the appropriateness of the group with whom the individual intends to work;
alignment with STFC strategic priorities.
‣ Ranking of applications will normally be strictly in order of merit as judged against the assessment criteria. However, in exceptional circumstances the Panel may take account of other factors. If you are not a returner applicant but your application has been affected by an earlier career break or other extenuating circumstances please indicate this so that it can be taken into account in the assessment of your application.
Notification for 2017 Ernest Rutherford Research Fellowship
‣ Decisions on who to invite for interview will be made mid/late January 2018.
Interviews will be held mid February 2018.
Scholarship Application Method
2017 Guidance notes will be available in June 2017
Departments will be informed in June of their fellowship application limits for the 2017 round.
You are advised to contact your proposed host department as early as possible and certainly well ahead of the deadline for submission of applications. Departments may have internal processes to select which candidates to support and the timetables for these vary.
Applications are encouraged from those seeking to resume a research career, following a period of absence from active research. Details can be found on our Returner Fellowships web page.
To apply for an Ernest Rutherford Fellowship you are strongly advised to read the guidance notes. These contain the rules and regulations for the scheme and advise on completing the online application form in Je-S.
‣ Applications for Ernest Rutherford Fellowships are submitted through the Research Councils’ Joint Electronic Submission (Je‐S) system. If you have not used the Je‐S system to submit an application before, please ensure, well in advance of the closing date, that you have set up an account. Guidance for completion of the application is provided through the Je‐S help text, available from the Je‐S system front page, and context sensitive help throughout the system.
‣ You are advised to contact your host organisation’s Research Administration as soon as possible as departments may have their own deadlines for candidate selection which may be several weeks before the closing date. They will advise you about costing your proposal and internal procedures relating to submitting a research proposal through Je‐S. Your Fellowship application must be costed and submitted by the host organisation.
‣ Applicants may submit only one application to one institution. The page limits outlined below will be strictly enforced by STFC. If any of the supporting documents exceed the specified limits, only the pages within the limits will be considered. The documents must be submitted as pdf attachments and written as per STFC Requirements.
‣ Together with your application proforma, you will need to include the following mandatory pdf attachments:
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Date : The application deadline is 4:00 pm Thursday 21 September 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.