ENSL de Lyon PhD Scholarship in Theoretical Chemistry in France , and applications are submitted till 30 April 2015. Applications are invited for PhD scholarships in Theoretical Chemistry at ENSL de Lyon. The successful applicant is expected to have strong background in physical chemistry and strong interest in the application of computational modeling techniques to study chemical reactivity and spectroscopies. Only one scholarship is available awarded for the duration of three years. Salary (1370€ net per month including French Social Security etc.) is offered to successful applicant. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): the Ecole Normale supérieure de Lyon | France
Level: PhD programme
Field(s): theoretical chemistry
Deadline: 30 April 2015
Funded By: Ecole Normale supérieure de Lyon (Funded by the ANR, the National French Agency for Research)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): ENSL de Lyon PhD Scholarship in Theoretical Chemistry is targeted for International Students
‣ Award No: One scholarship is available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarship is awarded for the duration of three years.
‣ Scholarship covers: Salary (1370€ net per month including French Social Security etc.) is offered to successful applicant.
‣ Industrial heterogeneous alkene metathesis catalysts are based on supported Mo and W oxides and contain very low concentrations of active sites (typically below ~1%). These sites are presumably formed under operating conditions.
‣ To improve those catalysts, a better knowledge of the active species and catalytic steps is required.
‣ We suggest an original approach based on the in situ characterization of the surface (active) sites at the molecular level at the precursor stage and during the catalytic event (in situ/operando), using in particular X-ray absorption fine structure (XAFS) and Raman spectroscopies combined with first principle density functional theory (DFT) calculations.
‣ This research project will in fine provide a detailed molecular understanding of the chemistry of metathesis catalysts and pave the way to develop industrial catalysts in a more rational way using the acquired knowledge through structure/property relationships.
‣ The PhD in Lyon will be devoted to the theory modeling part and focus his/her research on two main tasks. To start, he/she will build a library of spectroscopic signatures (NMR, IR, …) based on DFT structural models of all surface species that are essential for the interpretation of the experimental results.
‣ Then, he/she will determine the reaction pathways for the formation of the active species and for the methatesis reaction on this active site to provide structure/activity relationship.
‣ A Master degree is required. The student will be supported for 3 years to work towards a PhD degree in Chemistry within the graduate program of the Universite de Lyon. He/she will also benefit of the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon environment
Selection Criteria for ENSL de Lyon PhD Scholarship in Theoretical Chemistry
‣ The successful applicant is expected to have strong background in physical chemistry and strong interest in the application of computational modeling techniques to study chemical reactivity and spectroscopies.
‣ A Master degree is required.
‣ Applicant will be notified by e-mail in case of success.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants should be sent via email to carine.michel-at-ens-lyon.fr.
‣ Scholarship Application Due on 30 April 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.