EMJD-SEED PhD Fellowships for International Students , and applications are submitted till 5 January 2015. Up to 9 PhD fellowships are awarded for Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED program. The program provides in-depth training in the development and implementation of new state-of-the-art computational techniques for the modelling and solution of cutting-edge engineering problems in industry. Fellowships will be distributed in 2 categories according to the applicant nationality and previous international experience: Category A (applicant come from a non European country) and Category B (applicant are a not a Category A candidate). Monthly allowances in the form of employment contracts will be provided to all successful EMJD-SEED candidates during 3-4 years depending on each individual doctoral plan. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | France, Portugal, Italy, UK, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and Spain
Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing PhD studies at eight universities participating in the EMJD-SEED program (ECN: Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France, GeM Institute., IST: Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal, Civil Eng., Mech. Eng. & Math, Deps, UNIPV: University of Pavia, CESNA-Compmech, Italy, SU: Swansea University, United Kingdom, C2EC, TU/e: Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, Mech. Mat, TUM: Technical University of Munich, Germany, LNM lab, ULB: Free University of Brussels, Belgium, BATir-SMC, UPC: Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain – LaCàN). Each SEED PhD student will visit a Primary Institution (PI) and a Secondary Institution (SI). The SEED program is structured in the following 3 phases: Phase I at PI, 1 year; Phase II at SI, 1 year and Phase III at PI, 1-2 years.
Field(s): The Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED provides in-depth training in the development and implementation of new state-of-the-art computational techniques for the modelling and solution of cutting-edge engineering problems in industry. Research will be carried out one or more up-to-date techniques such as: Discontinuous Galerkin (DG), Fluid Structure Interaction (FI), Isogeometric analysis, X-FEM, Mesh-free methods, Mortar Methods, Error estimation, Multi-scale analysis and Mesh generation. The complexities of such models require new computational approaches, which are the main focus of SEED research activities. As a result, SEED candidates aim to cover important areas in engineering which include: Biomedical engineering: vascular system, respiratory system, tissue engineering; Civil engineering: soil stability, foundations, earthquake engineering, durability; Aerospace engineering: composite materials, turbulence analysis, aerodynamics and Environmental engineering: noise analysis, pollution analysis, risk management.
Deadline: 5 January 2015.
Funded By: European Commission
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): EMJD-SEED PhD Fellowships are targeted for Students of nationalities
‣ Award No: The estimated number of fellowships for the next application process is:
1 Category A fellowship for candidates originating from Turkey or Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia)
‣ Scholarship Duration: EMJD-SEED PhD Fellowships will be warded for a period of g 3-4 years.
‣ Scholarship covers: Monthly allowances in the form of employment contracts will be provided to all successful EMJD-SEED candidates during 3-4 years depending on each individual doctoral plan. This applies to both category A and B students. The basis of these contracts is that all students selected for the EMJD-SEED programme should thus be able to participate full-time, independently of the personal financial situation. The financial conditions are: - Fixed contribution to the travel, installation and any other types of cost: 7500 € for category A students. - A monthly gross salary of 2800 € (before deduction of any taxes or contributions) that corresponds to a net salary of around 1400-1500 € (to be fixed in the doctoral candidate agreement depending on national legislation). - Participation costs (tuition fees, supervision fees) and insurance are included in the fellowship. In addition, contribution to e.g. travels to the yearly workshop are provided for up to a certain limit.
‣ There are EMJD-SEED PhD Fellowships opportunities for students accepted on the Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED.
‣ Grantees will be given contract for the full extension of their PhD’s studies (3-4 years).
‣ EMJD-SEED PhD Fellowships will be distributed in 2 categories according to the applicant nationality and previous international experience: Category A candidates who come from a country other than a European country and who are not residents nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of these countries.
‣ The only exception to this rule applies to third-country doctoral candidates who have previously received an Erasmus Mundus masters scholarship in order to follow an EMMC. Category B candidates that do not fulfill the Category A criteria.
‣ Students with double nationality that fulfill Category A and B must choose one category.
‣ Category A: Applicant come from a non European country (A Member State of the European Union plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and applicant are not resident nor have carried out the main activity (studies, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years (The five-year reference period for this 12-month rule is calculated backwards as from the submission deadline for Category A applications by the consortium (all participating universities and associated industry partners) to the Agency(i.e. end of next February) in one of these countries.
‣ The only exception to this rule applies to third-country doctoral candidates who have previously received an Erasmus Mundus masters scholarship in order to follow an Erasmus Mundus Master Course.
‣ Category B: Applicant are a not a Category A candidate.
‣ Students with double nationality that fulfill Category A and B must choose one category. Students not specifically selected for EMJD-SEED fellowships might still be able to participate and follow the programme as well, but on an individual basis. These students need to pay all the fees and participation costs requested by the respective universities.
‣ All admitted PhD students will have to satisfy the following minimum requirements: Degree equivalent to a Masters in Engineering or in Applied Mathematics, Physics or a similar science based subject, equivalent to at least 300 ECTS; Non-native English speaking candidates will be required a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 (in both the written and oral).
Notification for EMJD-SEED PhD Fellowships
‣ Selection process, phase 1 (shortlist): 6th January 2015 – 28th February 2015. -Selection process, phase 2 (selection of admitted students and grantees): by April 2015.
‣ Registration and application to the doctorate fellowship must be completed through the online process: Access to the virtual center.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 5 January 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.