EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships , and The application deadlines are 28 February 2018, 17:00. EDCTP and WHO/TDR are jointly implementing clinical Fellowships to support researchers and key members of clinical trial research teams from Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs). WHO/TDR will fund fellows employed by a research institution (home organisation) in any LMICs for placements in pharmaceutical companies and PDPs (host organisations) either in or outside Europe. EDCTP will fund fellows employed by a sub-Saharan African home organisation for placements in European-based pharmaceutical hosting organisations to train and develop specific clinical research skills of relevance to developing interventions against PRDs. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | WHO/TDR placement in Europe or outside Europe and EDCTP placement in Europe
available to early to mid-career clinical researchers and key
members of clinical trial research teams to acquire experience
and develop skills for conducting and implementing clinical trials
outside an academic or public sector setting.
Field(s): EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships are awarded to acquire specific skills in clinical research and development through placements in pharmaceutical companies, product development partnerships (PDPs) and research institutions.
Deadline: 28 February 2018, 17:00
& Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) and
Clinical Research and Development Fellowships are targeted for
Researchers from low- and middle-income countries (Afghanistan,
Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia,
Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina,
Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia,
Cameroon, Cape Verde (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad,
China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica,
Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic,
Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia
, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana,
Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras,
Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq,
Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya
Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon,
Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi,
Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius,
Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro,
Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger,
Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea,
Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine,
Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe) and sub-Saharan Africa (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa , South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzanian , Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe ) can apply for these clinical fellowships.
to 25 grants (maximum of 10 grants funded by EDCTP and 15 funded by
WHO/TDR) are available.
EDCTP and WHO/TDR: Placements sought shall be for a minimum period of
12 months up to a maximum period of 24 months, following which there
will be a re-integration period of six months. For WHO/TDR:
Placements sought shall be for a minimum period of 6 months and a
maximum period of 12 months.
‣ Scholarship covers: The EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships grant covers one economy class return ticket (home – host organisation – home); a monthly stipend; health insurance; an allowance to cover essential educational support materials; support to attend relevant meetings during the course of the fellowship; and funds to support the six month reintegration period.
purpose of this EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development
Fellowships Joint Call for Proposals is to support researchers and
key members of clinical trial research teams from Low and Middle
Income Countries (LMICs) to acquire specific skills in clinical
research and development through placements in pharmaceutical
companies, product development partnerships (PDPs) and research
a result, there are fewer than the required researchers and clinical
staff from LMICs assuming leadership roles in clinical research for
poverty-related diseases (PRDs).
and WHO/TDR are jointly implementing this fellowship scheme to
support researchers to obtain these essential skills and ensure
synergies between researchers and clinical staff, pharmaceutical
companies, product development partnerships (PDPs) and research
partnership is aimed at increasing the number of individuals trained,
resulting in an increased impact on clinical research outputs and
development of additional capacity in LMICs.
‣ Be a post-graduate (MSc or PhD) or medical graduate with clinical and/or research experience in infectious diseases
‣ Have obtained their first degree within 15 years of submission of the application
‣ Have been a researcher or clinical staff member employed for the last 12 months in an organisation with a registered legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa, conducting clinical research activities in the scope of the EDCTP2 and WHO/TDR programme.
‣ For EDCTP: The applicant must be a legal entity established in sub-Saharan Africa and must be the home organisation employing the fellow
‣ For WHO/TDR: The fellow must be a national or citizen, and resident in a LMIC
Selection Criteria for EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships
‣ The evaluation committee will evaluate and score proposals against three criteria: ‘excellence’, ‘impact’ and ‘quality and efficiency of the implementation’.
‣ The evaluation committee gives evaluation scores to each criterion. Each criterion will be scored between 0 and 5.
‣ The overall threshold applying to the sum of the three individual scores will be 10. For full applications involving re-integration plan projects with human participants, and/or human tissues, cells or personal data, the evaluation process will include an assessment of ethical issues.
‣ The evaluation results for the first stage will be available by June 2018.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Application process
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : 2 February 2017, 17:00
Procedure and application process
Submission and evaluation procedure
This is a single-stage application procedure. Proposals must be submitted by 28 February 2018 via EDCTPgrants. Evaluation results of the first stage are expected to be made available by 31 July 2018.
Proposals should comprise of a proposed training plan reflecting the training needs of the applicant, a re-integration plan and the requested EDCTP contribution for the action. The full proposal will be reviewed by an independent evaluation committee comprising experts jointly identified by the EDCTP2-IS.
Evaluation, scoring and thresholds
Following the check of admissibility and eligibility conditions, the full proposals are evaluated by external, independent experts. Proposals are evaluated according to the criteria Excellence, Impact and Implementation. Each criterion is scored between 0 and 5.
The following aspects are considered under the evaluation criteria:
3. Quality and efficiency of the implementation
Scoring will be in line with section 6.7.2 of the 2017 Work Plan.
Proposals above the threshold will be forwarded to prospective host organisations listed in the Call for Proposals. Host organisations interested in hosting a fellow will select up to five candidates for interview. Interviews are held between the potential host organisation, the candidate and the home organisation, following which a matching process of candidates and host organisations is conducted by EDCTP.
The call budget is 1.5 million EUR.
The requested EDCTP contribution per project should not exceed 100,000 EUR. The funding level is up to 100% of eligible costs.
The legal entity employing the successful fellow (‘host organisation’) is required to sign a grant agreement with EDCTP (EDCTP2 mono-beneficiary grant agreement with options for fellowships) within three months of receipt of the evaluation outcome letter.
Prior to the conclusion of the EDCTP2 grant agreement, the fellow will be required to sign a letter of engagement with their home organisation.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.