Echidna Global Scholars Program for Scholars from developing countries. Applications are open until November 13 , 2017. Applicants selected for the fellowship will receive a living stipend of USD $5,000 a month (subject to U.S. tax withholding), paid housing for the 4.5-month term and round-trip travel expenses. Let's dive in to the full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Brookings Institution| USA
Level: Research( Echidna Scholars spend four to six months for pursuing research at Brookings.)
Field(s): Fellowship is awarded for research on global education issues, with a specific focus on improving learning opportunities and outcomes for girls in the developing world.
Deadline:November 13 , 2017
Funded By: This program is made possible by the generous contribution of The Echidna Giving Fund.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Echidna Global Scholars Program is targeted for Scholars from developing countries.
‣ Award No: Not Specified.
‣ Scholarship Duration:
‣ Scholarship covers: Applicants selected for the fellowship will receive a living stipend of USD $5,000 a month (subject to U.S. tax withholding), paid housing for the 4.5-month term and round-trip travel expenses.
‣ The Echidna Global Scholars Program is a visiting fellowship hosted by the Center for Universal Education (CUE) at the Brookings Institution.
‣ The program aims to build the research and analytical skills of NGO leaders and academics from developing countries.
‣ Echidna Scholars spend four to six months at Brookings pursuing research on global education issues, with a specific focus on improving learning opportunities and outcomes for girls in the developing world.
‣ Upon completion of their fellowship, CUE supports the scholars in implementing an action plan that applies their new skills and expertise to share with their home institutions.
‣ During their residency at Brookings, Echidna Scholars work with CUE staff to develop a research project.
‣ They draw upon Brookings’ intellectual capital and convening power, as well as the extended public policy community in Washington through meetings and conferences, and through networking with the broader international development community.
‣ Applicants should have a background in education, development, economics or a related area, with at least 15 years of professional experience in either research/academia; non-government and civil society; government; or business. PhD or research background strongly preferred; Master’s degree required.
‣ Strong analytical and writing skills required.
‣ Successful applicants will have intimate understanding of education development issues and/or issues related to development and gender.
‣ Applicants who have not worked explicitly on girls’ education previously are welcome but should include an explanation of how this focus on girls’ education can be integrated successfully into their current and future work.
‣ Echidna scholars will be expected to work on extensive, cutting-edge research, as well as a project proposal with the intent to implement their research in their home country upon completion of the program.
‣ Additional expectations of scholars include interacting with other Brookings scholars and the wider policy community, a demonstrated ability to conduct professional, in-depth research and deliver spoken presentations in English.
‣ Results will be announced in April 2016. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Candidates selected for interviews may be asked to submit additional materials.
Scholarship Application Method
*Documents must be saved with a format of Last Name, First Name and document name. Note that letter of recommendations, writing samples and transcripts are NOT required. Please upload Questionnaire and Research Project Proposal in the Writing Sample section.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date:
Timing and Application Deadlines:
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.