DKFZ International PhD Program in Germany , and applications are submitted till 5th January 2016 for the 2015/16 Winter Selection. Applications are invited for DKFZ PhD Program to conduct research at the forefront of basic and translational cancer research. The typical duration of the PhD program is three years. During this time, students are fully funded by DKFZ fellowships or third-party funding. All PhD students at the DKFZ are enrolled at the Helmholtz International Graduate School for Cancer Research, regardless of how they are funded. There is no tuition fee. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
is available to pursue PhD
programme at Helmholtz International Graduate School for Cancer
is awarded to conduct research at the forefront of basic and
translational cancer research.
the 2015/16 Winter Selection
Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Germany
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): DKFZ International PhD Program is targeted for applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
typical duration of the PhD program is three years.
typical duration of the PhD program is three years. During this time,
students are fully funded by DKFZ fellowships or third-party
funding. These salaries are competitive by national standards. There
is no tuition fee. All PhD students at the DKFZ are enrolled at the
Helmholtz International Graduate School for Cancer Research,
regardless of how they are funded. Students awarded a PhD position
through the biannual selection rounds are funded either by
a fellowship or by third-party funding from their group leaders.
There are several types of DKFZ fellowships available. Many students
are funded by a Graduate School Fellowship. In addition, two
other types of fellowship are awarded: A “Melanie and Eduard
zur Hausen” Fellowship and an “Annemarie Poustka”
‣ The Helmholtz
International Graduate School for Cancer Research in Heidelberg is
the interdisciplinary and international PhD program for all students
working at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ).
DKFZ is Germany’s largest biomedical research institute and has an
international and dynamic work environment, providing students with
access to state-of-the-art research facilities and exceptional
‣ More than 550 PhD students in over 90 divisions and research groups carry out research to unravel the causes and mechanisms of cancer development and to identify novel tools for diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
‣ Applicants holding (or expecting to hold) a university master’s degree (MSc or equivalent) including a written master’s research thesis are eligible to apply. PhD students typically have a background in (molecular) biology, molecular medicine, biochemistry, chemistry, and physics, mathematics, and computer science or epidemiology/public health studies.
‣ Applicants still studying for their degree should anticipate receiving it not later than 6 months after the application deadline. A provisional certificate or bona fide statement from the University, stating the examination marks already obtained, should be provided.
‣ A language test for English is requested for all applicants except those coming from Germany, as well as native English speakers from Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, and USA. No proof of English is required if the language of your studies was in English, as stated on your degree certificate and/or transcript record.
‣ During the interviews, aspects such as intellectual brightness, creativity, perseverance, independent thinking and the ability to work in a team will be evaluated.
Notification of DKFZ International PhD Program results
‣ Applications will be evaluated within 4 weeks of the deadline. The DKFZ will inform applicants immediately and invite successful candidates for the interviews.
‣ The interviews take place in Heidelberg about 6-8 weeks after the application deadline and last 3 days. About three times more candidates are invited than the number they eventually accept.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Please apply using online Application System.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : There are two application rounds each year, one in winter and one in summer. The next application deadline is 5th January 2016 for the 2015/16 Winter Selection.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.